• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

five ND guys missing since thursday

T

traw4life

Nov 8, 2013
wyoming
yeah I've been checking the bear lodge Facebook page and there just saying that there is quite a few teams out looking and anyone that wants to help stop by the wydot office by bear to get info and map of what's being done

Skidoox600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Reported all 5 guys have been found and fuel is being hauled out to them. Details will be posted as they become available. I knhw my dad was searching, I will try to get details

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
9apavage.jpg

T

traw4life

Nov 8, 2013
wyoming
just thought id share from Sheridan press;

UPDATE (Feb. 22, 1:17 p.m.) — All five of the snowmobilers who were reported missing early Friday morning have been found and are reportedly healthy.
Lt. Mark Conrad of the Sheridan County Sheriff’s Office said the five were found in the west fork of Horse Creek Mesa just after 1 p.m. today. He said they were requesting gas, as they had run out, but would not require medical attention.
Conrad said he expected the five men would return to Bear Lodge within a couple of hours.

UPDATE (Feb. 22, 1 p.m.): While there is still no sign of the five snowmobilers from North Dakota missing in the Bighorns, Lt. Mark Conrad of the Sheridan County Sheriff’s Office said an “overwhelming” number of people showed up this morning to help in the search.
Conrad said those conducting the search are still hoping for a break in the weather to allow planes to assist in the search.
UPDATE (Feb. 22, 9 a.m.): Sheridan County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Mark Conrad said more than 50 people have been taking shifts searching for five missing snowmobilers since Friday morning.
Poor visibility and wintry weather are hindering search efforts. Conrad said they’ve requested help from the Civil Air Patrol. They have planes with infrared capability to aid in the search. But, the pilots cannot fly in the current weather conditions.
Conrad added that the snowmobilers are familiar with the Bighorns, as they have been coming here to ride for about 15 years. Friends and family of the missing men from North Dakota have come to the Sheridan area to aid in the search.
Search teams are using the WYDOT facility near Bear Lodge as the base for search operations, taking shifts searching and sleeping. Check back here, and The Sheridan Press Facebook page for updates as they are available.
- See more at: http://thesheridanpress.com/?p=17827#sthash.MZYgR4X6.dpuf

im glad they've made it back safe now if your at Wyoming high country at 330pm probably didn't get gas but even if you did to travel south to horse creek mesa, not aware of the area or surroundings. Kind of like avy awareness, cant believe people don't use better judgment than that

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Wow that would suck to be all by yourself seperated. Ya u can't trust you cell phone compass I have played with mine and its way off. Glad they made it.

mortelec

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2011
Crosslake, MN
It takes to guys to start a fire?????????

Might be a little tricky with a pull start and trying to do it with the spark plug by yourself. I was surprised no matches or lighter. Definetly not a situation I would have wanted to be in though.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Next time you ride in a snowy blowy day , Stop and light a fire. Good little practice. It's harder than most think. Last time I tried I had a gas jug full of gas, a lighter and some small twigs and branches. Still took a while to get it going. I was dipping branches in my sleds gas tank and pulling them out and huddling behind my sled for a little wind break trying To get the lighter to go, And it wouldn't. The snow was blowing around so much all my dry twigs were covered in snow quickly. I think a tampon would work great for soaking in gas and lighting them. Also the cotton balls with Vaseline on them. A wind proof lighter is another great item.

Last edited:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Wondering what it cost to bring search and rescue to the mt? I have used a tampon to light a fire works excellent burns for 3 to 5 minutes.

Premium Features