• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Northern Bighorn snow

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
I know i probably shouldn't bother asking right now after seeing the snotel, but how is the snow near Bear Lodge? a group of us are heading out a week from today for a 3 day ride. hoping we aren't just driving out to drink beer.

forecast is calling for snow, but not sure on the amounts. Snowdancing like crazy right now....

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
if all you are worried about is having snow to ride on then yes you can do that . i sure the heck wouldnt waist any money and time driving right now with the snow conditions . with that said one storm could change everything and we will all be on here bragging about waist deep pow.

C
Aug 28, 2008
North Central MN
well, i am from MN now and the rest of my group is back in ND. we usually pick our trip dates and make reservations in Oct. NORMALLY, first week in Feb is pretty safe. I have been burned before by not making reservations in advance.

we stay in the duplex condo cabins at Bear when we go. Did that the very first year in 07 and have done it ever since. For us, it isn't a weekend run, it's a vacation. no point in being cooped up in a hotel room. Plus most of us have to put in for time off in advance since we have the extra day driving out and back.

i hear what you are saying though. if i had it my way, we would hold off and wait for better snow.

M
Also, is there anyway to read the comments on the Bighorns Sticky without upgrading to premium? I cant see the last two pages of replies? Or if somebody could give me a synopsis of it I'd be grateful

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
I'll give ya a synopsis, pony up to premium. $$$$$ for pickup, $$$$ for trailer, $$$$ for sled, $$$$ for gear, then fuel, rooms, food, 10+ hrs of driving, etc. like 15 bucks a year to see accurate reports and keep the clutter on the forum down.

T
I'll give ya a synopsis, pony up to premium. $$$$$ for pickup, $$$$ for trailer, $$$$ for sled, $$$$ for gear, then fuel, rooms, food, 10+ hrs of driving, etc. like 15 bucks a year to see accurate reports and keep the clutter on the forum down.

Flatlanders are turning on themselves. Even they are getting sick of asking each other everyday where the snow is. Hate to say it but people who have secret stashes and pockets of snow sure the hell are not going to give them up. :brokenheart:

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Flatlanders are turning on themselves. Even they are getting sick of asking each other everyday where the snow is. Hate to say it but people who have secret stashes and pockets of snow sure the hell are not going to give them up. :brokenheart:

You are a misguided soul, but I'll say a prayer for you anyway! Ride on and stay safe!

D

deep_doo

Nov 30, 2007
Sheridan
i have a update for ya. i rode both saturdat and sunday 31st and 1st . ye syou can ride probably better then staying home . but forcast has temps in the upper 50s again for middle week into the weekend and im not sure the snow can take one more week of that . i know i wouod be headed west farther i seen cooke city got snow lastnight

M
Post trip synopsis: the riding was a helluva lot better than it is in the upper midwest. Zilch for fresh snow. You're gonna have to work to find untracked snow. The snow is relatively good in the trees, I got stuck enough times to make it fun. Lots of rocks exposed. Be careful and have fun!

B
Feb 15, 2015
Big Bear Lodge has a website and shows the snow conditions and has a scale of 1-10 for riding, its a good deal and nice place to stay and ride. from trials to pow.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the best source for accurate info on the Big Horns is wyoroad.info. Click on web cameras, non interstate routes, then Hwy 14 antelope butte. This camera is right at the turnoff to the ski area. It is probably 3 miles from the parking lot at Granite Pass. Snow may get a little better than in the view, but probably not a lot. Also FYI the Wind River lake camera is on Togwotee Pass.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
We just drove through Sheridan. Definitely snowing in the Horns. Bear Lodge reported 6" earlier today.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
bear lodge is reporting 14" at the lodge over the past two days. was up there yesterday, the 6" report was accurate. found less snow the further west we went

Premium Features