• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowies - trail question

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of trail W on the Albany side? I've been wanting to explore it but the topo maps make me think it's sketchy.

Thanks~!

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
I've been through there in a truck, but not on a sled. The trees are very thick headed downhill towards French creek, maybe too thick to navigate, and it is pretty steep. They are also fairly thick on the uphill side, but may thin out a bit as you get higher. Doesn't really open up (from what I could see from the road) until you get closer to the hut.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Your talking trail W that's ungroomed between Q and T ? Been on that several times, it gets pretty damn rough if there hasn't been fresh snow in a while. There is some good off trail through there and usually not many tracks. Eric

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
Yeah the one between T and Q. Is it better to go through there from T or from Q? Would it be pretty much sidehilling through there?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Yeah the one between T and Q. Is it better to go through there from T or from Q? Would it be pretty much sidehilling through there?

The snow is usually deeper on the T end of W. Its not a big deal if you stay on the trail, getting off the trail and playing around depends on snow conditions and your skill level :) Eric

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have made that trek several times. If I remember right it dead ends before T trail maybe a 1/2 mile (end of logging road). You then have to climb up the ridge to the South to continue. This may just be that I dropped onto that logging road that runs South of French Creek?? anyway not well marked and need to be a good rider if you run that way.

yourhoodsopen

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2014
Running Water, South Dakota
I have made that trek several times. If I remember right it dead ends before T trail maybe a 1/2 mile (end of logging road). You then have to climb up the ridge to the South to continue. This may just be that I dropped onto that logging road that runs South of French Creek?? anyway not well marked and need to be a good rider if you run that way.

Heck, I didn't know you went off trail. Cool.:face-icon-small-hap

M
Nov 27, 2007
I'm not so sure you should use him for a guide. W trail is a road that goes all the way from Q to T. The road he is probably speaking of is half way down the south side of the drainage and appears to stop at a clear cut but was at one time was cut all the way to Libby Flats.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
All I can say is about 15 years ago we intentionally dropped into French Creek from the V trail side, got on the 4wd road at the bottom, hooked up with W and rode back to Libby Flats and we all swore we'd never do that again, and we haven't. Don't recall anything particularly challenging given the snow conditions at the time, but we found it to be a long trek. Maybe we need to go back again with the newer iron.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I'm not so sure you should use him for a guide.

I sure wouldn't!

The road he is probably speaking of is half way down the south side of the drainage and appears to stop at a clear cut but was at one time was cut all the way to Libby Flats.

That is why I questioned it...I was thinking it paralleled it. I do not usually ride the trails and do not know them as well as you:second:

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
No issues with the W (non groomed), goes from Q to T. Plenty of fun spots to play in there but yes if you drop off the West side you will be in south French Creek.

Premium Features