• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Alpine Snow Conditions Rockin' M Ranch

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Man what a blast this weekend couldn't have Asked for better weather. I was expecting it to be snowing on Saturday when we left Alpine it was raining but turned out to be sunny all day! And today was amazing the snow was a little heavy but can't complain! Just wish it would cool off!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 10, 2015
It has been unseasonably warm the last 10 or so days. Thursday and Friday hit almost 50 degrees in the valley just after we just received about 2 feet up high. Another colder front just came through lowering the daytime temps in the valley to about 32-34 degrees. This storm was another rain/snow mix in the valley. The snotel sites are not showing much movement, I believe due to the wetter snow and settling. One of my renters was at Blind Bull yesterday and said there was about 4-5 inches of new on the road. It may be possible by the end of the storm it may have picked up 6-8". I recently I have had many people calling for snow reports wondering if they can still ride? There is plenty of snow!!! (I will summarize below) 8000-10,000 feet is not going to be fluffy, but heavier powder. Be careful, the avalanche danger is considerable. We haven't had enough cold weather to stabilize the snowpack after the last few storms. All riding below 8000 feet is going to be "spring conditions". The snow in the Valley settled down to about half as much as we had 2 weeks ago, no bare spots. Plenty to get around, but most roads are bared off. It is a little difficult getting around alpine on a sled without being creative or wearing your skags a bit.
Here is a summary of the snowpack:
Snake River Drainage (entire drainage average) 116%
Blind Bull 20.7 (water content) 68" 137%
Salt River Summit 9.8 39" 115%
Spring Creek 21.3 69" 136%
Willow Creek 20.8 62" 114%
The long term prediction is for highs close to 40 and clear skies to the end of the weekend. Long term forecast is for a cold front, snow, and Canadian air influencing us next week. I will report after the next significant snow, hopefully early next week.
From Bridger Teton:
GENERAL AVALANCHE ADVISORY
At the mid and upper elevations isolated pockets of new soft slab and older, hard slabs could be human triggered in steep terrain and cliff areas. At the lower elevations areas of isothermal snow present some potential for wet slides to be human triggered in steep terrain.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Not my video, I don't know these guys, but like I said earlier be careful out there! I think this happened on Thursday.

http://youtu.be/aGUQC5k3dFM

Wow. Glad they are all safe. Once that avy broke and he was engulfed, they pretty much got the "best case scenario" ending.

Did he actually have his chin strap done up?

I'm sure there is education and good discussion that could come from that video.

Last edited:

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Wow. Glad they are all safe. Once that avy broke and he was engulfed, they pretty much got the "best case scenario" ending.

Did he actually have his chin strap done up?

I'm sure there is education and good discussion could come from that video.

I don't think he had his chin strap strapped, they pulled that helmet off in no time. I also think he had an avy bag but never pulled it, don't understand that one either. He was VERY lucky for sure.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I don't think he had his chin strap strapped, they pulled that helmet off in no time. I also think he had an avy bag but never pulled it, don't understand that one either. He was VERY lucky for sure.

That's the way I was guessing too.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Holy CHIT man. Had tears in my eyes. Tears of joy they saved his life. I am guessing he didn't have time to pull the cord. I hope he's okay.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 16, 2015

High temps in the valley continue in the low to mid 30's. The best way I can describe current conditions would be Mid-March conditions. I talked to 3-4different groups. One said snow was good above 8000-8200 feet. Another group rode the bowls in the head of Squaw and Murphy. They said it was good, sinking in about 8" to 1 foot (they had a good time). Similar reports for Blind Bull. With current conditions it is the time to go explore the off the beaten path areas that you maybe couldn't get to or the big bowls that you are typically nervous to ride. Although it is not our most prime conditions for this time of the year, many groups who have ridden many areas in the west this winter have told me that we have the best snow they have come across. Hopefully we see a weather pattern change (predicted) next week and to get us back on track for this time of the year.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
There's still snow to be found, we didn't have to look very hard to find some good stuff. Cleared this chute yesterday.

Lots of old iron on the mountain yesterday!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 21, 2015
About an inch last night in the Valley. Although it has been awhile since a major snow, most riders are coming back saying it was better than they thought it would be. One group did the loop from Blind Bull down Sheep Creek (McDougal Gap). They said they were still finding soft snow, knee deep. Need to get over 8000 for good snow. Great time to ride the big stuff, Sheep Creek (Idaho), Indian Creek, North Murphy, Willow and Strawberry. Daytime temps are back to more seasonal.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
One group reported 8 inches of new with 1-1.5' of soft underneath. Another group rode willow, said it was 4-10" of new depending on what canyon you were in.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Suppose to be riding the 6th-11th at alpine. Would you drive 850 miles if they don't get a good system before then?

Premium Features