• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Snowy Range snow conditions

BeeMan800

Premium Member
Oct 15, 2008
Prolly better than the snow in iowa! Are you stuck at home because of snow?

raptobob

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2008
Idaho
Thinking about riding the snowies Sat 2/28. Anybody going that wouldn't mind a tag a long? 45 yr old/14 pro/avy gear.

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
Went up yesterday morning after seeing around a foot of new snow had fallen on Wednesday. What intended on being a short day turned into about 10 hours of riding because we were having too much fun. There was a good 10-12" of fresh, although in some spots the snow underneath was rock hard, but pretty easy to find nice soft stuff in the expected places.

photo-1.jpg photo-2.jpg

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
Rode today and had about same conditions as described by Sledhead. We came up on a terrible crash scene this morning along hwy 130 right before Lake Marie. Appears a guy in a group had stopped on the trail and his buddy behind him didn't notice and hit the back of his sled hard. By the scene, it seemed he could've been going 30-40 on impact (that's total speculation). The scene was cleared besides the wreckage by the time we got there, but it made me sick to my stomach. Helmet full of blood left at the scene and two shredded sleds. Does anyone have any more info on the crash? Both sleds had MN tags. Will be thinking about both of those guys. Hope they will be ok, but a great reminder for us and everyone else to be safe. Makes me keep perspective that the typical bumps and bruises to my sled and my body are not a big deal. Keeping riding partners and myself safe are the number one priority.

a05d556c30d48bdd06065b651d1b54dd.jpg
2c05580a58e9896dd47c90bc36269d0b.jpg
5203538d532c806e304337294f53ab7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
I was there as they were taking them out, one had been knocked unconscious and the other had cuts on his face. I talked briefly with one of their group, he said they were going to be ok.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Went up today with two first timers so I didn't make it anywhere off the beaten path... Found 6"-18" of fresh depending on exposure.

Vid is near silver lake south facing slope.

Assault-7c

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2012
Lake Villa, IL
Decent forecast in the near term.

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHEYENNE WY914 AM MST MON MAR 2 2015...WINTER STORM TO IMPACT SOUTHEAST WYOMING AND THE NORTHERNNEBRASKA PANHANDLE TODAY THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT....A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE INTO THE CENTRAL ROCKIESTODAY. THIS DISTURBANCE WILL INTERACT WITH AN ARCTIC COLD FRONTLATE TONIGHT...PRODUCING WIDESPREAD SNOW ACROSS SOUTHEAST WYOMINGAND THE WESTERN NEBRASKA PANHANDLE. THE HIGHEST SNOW AMOUNTS AREEXPECTED WEST OF THE LARAMIE RANGE...WITH UPWARDS OF 2 FEET OFSNOW LIKELY FOR THE SNOWY AND SIERRA MADRE MOUNTAINS. GUSTY NORTHWINDS WILL CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND VERY LOWVISIBILITIES...ESPECIALLY LATE TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY. DANGEROUSLYCOLD WIND CHILLS WILL DEVELOP TUESDAY NIGHT AS ARCTIC AIR SPILLSINTO THE AREA.</PRE>

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Let's all hope that we get half of what they are predicting :face-icon-small-hap

IMO every time they slap a "Winter Storm Warning" on a forecast for the Snowy's lately it has been the kiss of death.... The last one got pulled early when the storm moved south into CO.

Hope they get this one right!

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Let's all hope that we get half of what they are predicting :face-icon-small-hap

IMO every time they slap a "Winter Storm Warning" on a forecast for the Snowy's lately it has been the kiss of death.... The last one got pulled early when the storm moved south into CO.

Hope they get this one right!
I hope so too! And when you are done, send it this way!:face-icon-small-sho
Owenb2, did you order the new skis you liked?

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
I hope so too! And when you are done, send it this way!:face-icon-small-sho
Owenb2, did you order the new skis you liked?

Nope decide to wait and see what got released for next year before I put any $ into my cat. .. Now that everything is out I really don't know what I'm gonna do haha

Premium Features