• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpine

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Alpine help appreciated, wife and I are riding Feb26-March3. We are staying at Flying Saddle, both in fifties, have and know how to use Avi gear, looking for good terrain/snow. Wife is novice, learning to hold side hills , carving and etc.. I am fairly experienced Mnt rider. We are both on Pros and reasonably fit.
Would buy dinner and drinks for anyone or couple to show us around. BTW, we are both backcountry skiers too. Willing to trailer if necessary for better conditions.
Thank you!?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Conditions are extremely poor right now. Worst I've ever seen. It doesn't look like any significant snow will fall until your last day. I should be there on the 4th (unless it doesn't snow), but that doesn't help you much. You'll need to get up high. Without a guide, pretty much your only bet is to go to Blind Bull. It's a 30 mile sled ride from the trailhead, but you might find a little snow up there. Otherwise, your best bet might be to head up to Togwotee/Togwotee Pass. It's a good hour and a half windshield time, but closer to 10k feet in elevation.

There are many other high areas near Alpine, but you'd need a guide to get to them. I'm pretty sure there are guides available for a fee in the area. Maybe call Rockin' M Ranch? I know they do guiding.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Conditions are extremely poor right now. Worst I've ever seen. It doesn't look like any significant snow will fall until your last day. I should be there on the 4th (unless it doesn't snow), but that doesn't help you much. You'll need to get up high. Without a guide, pretty much your only bet is to go to Blind Bull. It's a 30 mile sled ride from the trailhead, but you might find a little snow up there. Otherwise, your best bet might be to head up to Togwotee/Togwotee Pass. It's a good hour and a half windshield time, but closer to 10k feet in elevation.

There are many other high areas near Alpine, but you'd need a guide to get to them. I'm pretty sure there are guides available for a fee in the area. Maybe call Rockin' M Ranch? I know they do guiding.

I do agree somewhat to this post, and I do appreciate that you have referred me. It has been a warmer than normal winter. The fact of the matter is, it is a strange winter, but not necessarily a poor winter. There is still 110% of average snowpack over 8000 feet. I have been quizzing my renters daily, "how was your day"? Not a single person in the last 20 days said "the snow sucked", more often than not, I am hearing "It was much better than I thought it would be". If you are a regular here and only know the Greys River, you may have to get creative. Most locals, and myself ride everywhere but, the Greys, there are many other places to get higher faster. If one is willing to ride to Blind Bull, all reviews have been positive. About 14 days ago blind bull received 33" (per the groomers report) and 3 days ago another 8" on top of 1.5 feet of soft snow. The warm temperatures have fooled many into believing the winter is over. It is frustrating for me to explain this elevation game that we are in this season, many don't understand it. The bottom line is, riding is poor, plenty of snow but hard, under 8000 feet, but still surprisingly good over 8000. Togwotee starts at a higher elevation, but will be much more tracked up. Those who have ridden Togwotee and then learned the Alpine area know the difference. I am not putting Togwotee down, but for those willing to explore, there is no comparison to what Alpine has to offer. Many more awesome drainages in addition to the Greys River which are over 8000 feet---Sheep Creek, Indian Creek, Commissary, Willow, Strawberry, Dog Creek, North Murphy, and many more. Reports compared to the rest of the western US, our riding is pretty decent.

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Talked to a customer of mine that rode Tog last week. Snow at 9-10k was great! Take the time to search and get rewarded! I, on the other hand, will wait until the Spring dumps start!:face-icon-small-win

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
We rode western wyoming last sunday in the mosquito creek area. Some areas were "OK" and some were "Awesome"! Many of the north facing slopes had 1-2ft of powder. Turned out to be a much better ride then we were guessing it would be. I'm going to guess that most other areas in western Wy are going to be similar. South face slopes were very hard packed with some fresh snow on top, some common used south facing trails (off trail riding) were VERY slick and icy. There is more snow on the way, who knows how much. Eric

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Togwotee starts at a higher elevation, but will be much more tracked up. Those who have ridden Togwotee and then learned the Alpine area know the difference. I am not putting Togwotee down, but for those willing to explore, there is no comparison to what Alpine has to offer.

I am one of those people Rob is talking about. We have been to Togwotee three times and one time to Alpine January 2014. Alpine had everything we wanted and more. And we didn't even pop over into Idaho. After a few days riding from the Rockin M we changed our game plan and trailered south everyday to Willow Creek Parking Area and Smith's Fork Parking Area. Keep your wits about you though. You can get in trouble in a hurry. At that time we really liked east and south of Poison Creek Safety Shelter. We have one more trip planned this year and Alpine/Rockin M Ranch is number one on our list. Have fun!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Given what you described for you and your wife, and where you're staying, do the Blind Bull - Sheep Creek loop, and you'll find out quickly if you like the north end. If you don't find acceptable riding on that loop, you're likely trailering. Wouldn't advise North Murphy given your wife's developing skills, unless you are with a local who can show you the easier drainages. Can find trouble in a hurry. Talk with Rob - he's Rock'in M, he won't steer you wrong - great guy.

Premium Features