• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorns Trip Guide

R

RTYsxv

Aug 9, 2008
MN
Myself and a few friends are looking to take a trip out to the Bighorns Feb 6-8. We are from Minnesota and have not been further west than the Black Hills, so while having some experience playing in deep-ish snow and small hills, we do not have real mountain experience. We're looking to give the mountains a try with this trip and see what it's all about. We are not beginning riders, but are willing to learn and listen to someone who has experience. I was thinking about getting a guide for a day to get us started on the right track. But availability doesn't look that great. After reading on here, I saw quite a few recommendations to just find a local to ride with instead, and pay for their gas and dinner or something like that. So, any Snowest rider in the area interested in showing us the ropes for a day or part of a day?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Bear lodge has guides and I hear they know the area real good. A couple years ago I did have one that rode away from the group he was guiding and ask me for directions!
It is really one of my favorite areas in the northern horns. You go else where and get bigger mountains and chutes, more dramatic elevation changes, and deeper snow, but I've always found powder and no one has gotten in real trouble with only mini avy's once in a while. If I was heading out then I would take you guys along, I just don't know when I'm heading out again.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Been there many times but never saw the need for a guide. They do an excellent job on marking trails and there will be some sledders there to give you guys some tips. Riding areas are 8,000' to 10,000'. I think Burgess Junction is 8,300' Good luck!

:welcome:

bullrunner

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2009
Backcountry navigators

Call Backcountrynavigators. They don't get as much publicity as some of the other guides in the mountains, but they are some of the best. You will learn a lot.

R

RTYsxv

Aug 9, 2008
MN
Thanks for the replies. Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I don't want to hire a professional guide, just looking for someone to ride with for a day or part of a day to show us around.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
There's a lot of wide open area in the Horns, I'd be happy to show you around if I was going to be there, but, I'll be at work that week.
I'd recommend following the trail along the highway down to Owens Creek and taking the right fork back in, lots of open country and play hills back in there, if we go in that way we usually come out at PaintRock and end up on 14A just east of Fiberglass Hill, then ride back in to Bear. If you take the left fork at Owens Creek you can play back into the hills to the South/SE and drop out at Antelope Butte Ski Area (closed)
Have done this many times and always found fun riding, keeping in mind if you just head back east you'll find the highway, lot of times you can look down a drainage from up top and see it down below.

Premium Features