• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding oil to the gas tank?

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Just wondering if anyone adds oil to the gas tank all the time on these 900's? I have heard during break-in to add a half cup to a full cup of oil to a full tank of gas, but have also heard some people do it all the time at each fill up. This is of course on top of the oil added from the oil injection tank? What are the thoughts on this?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
wouldnt hurt anything..

i ride with skisucca, and he was told by indydan (he has the TM3 crank as well) that he reccommends running a 16oz of oil per tank of fuel..he has always done that he said..i personally have not..

but then again, if i had a warranty on my crank, and was told to do it, i would be for sure..

but i have never had an issue not running extra oil..?

Last edited:
L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
I read somewhere NOT to do that because it leans out the motor. I don't know that is why I asked. That extra oil takes the place where gas would be leaning it out? At least that it what I was told, I have also heard the opposite. He adds a whole quart per tank? Man that seems like a lot. I have hear a pint and a cup or so.

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
I do it to my 975 just so my crank has a little more oil it probably works out to be around 20 to one done this becouse I lost one crank and cases on my 975 pto bearing went out and took the case with it that went at about 1000 miles on my 975 then rebuilt with stock crank started adding extra oil and have around 2000 miles on it now so in my opinion it helps going to put indy dans crank in when I turbo the 975 so in my opinion its extra insurance for the crank

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Adding a full quart to a full tank of gas will put you at 44:1, that by itself is enough to run your motor on if your oil pump was to fail, then add your injection of about 35:1 and you will be about 20:1 running. At 20:1 oil, you will be in the neighborhood of possibly fouling plugs frequently and throttle response will be sluggish as oil does not like to burn like gas does, but otherwise you should be ok.

I was once told that running that much oil may lead to a plugged injector, but that was from a Cat rider and I'm not so sure as it seems like everyone who has a Polaris puts a full quart in the tank for break in and nobody has really had a problem that I have heard...

Not sure if that helps or not, but that's my $.02

H
Nov 11, 2009
it doesnt hurt anything, but your pocket because oil aint cheap. but i got a brand new sled and i only put it in with the first tank of gas to get things lubed up. but after that i never put any in. with the first full tank of gas i mix 2 pints of oil in the tank. usually it is one pint per every 5 gallons of gas. it basically helps get things lubed up.

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
whoops I dont know what I was thinking when I said 20 to one that I premixed on my 975. what I was realy trying to say was that I put extra oil in the gas probably less then a pint. your right if I put 20 to one along with the oil injection it wouldnt whant to run and be fouling plugs thanks for the catch guys I went back and read it,it didnt make no sence.lmao

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
I run 100 to 1 pre mixed fuel in the gas tank and the oil I use is cheap walmart oil. Putting oil in the gas tank makes me feel good.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
amount of oil

16 oz.......1 Pint per full tank - thats about 100:1

A quart is way to much.........leans down the fuel to much.

the fuel injector doesn't know what its spraying........the more oil you add to the fuel the less gas that is going to the motor causing it to get leaner.

I have not seen a 900 map that could not handel 100:1 in the fuel, But 50:1 is starting to push things a little to far.

Premium Features