• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch's prone to fail with 2000-3000 miles?

C
Jan 14, 2012
I have read alot on here the stock Cat clutch's are prone to fail with 2000-3000 miles. I have a 2009 M8 with around 2000 miles and am starting to wonder if my clutch's need attention.
Is there anything to look at to see the current condition/problems starting? What is known to fail? Mine operate fine, no problems. I just thinking preventitive maintenance. I blow them out with compressed air often. Have CPC weights-BDX helix-BDX roller rockers-shift asssist.

I would like to think they can last 2000-3000 miles without an issue.

Thanks

sledhead685

Premium Member
Jan 12, 2012
Laramie
My original primary clutch (09 M8) had about 4,000 miles on it when I decided to change it as a preventive maintenance thing. It didn't fail or anything, but the bushing/buttons were getting worn and a new clutch was just a tad more money than having that one rebuilt. I did notice less belt heat/fade with the new clutch, but that may have just been a result of getting them aligned real good. Oh I also put new motor mounts in at the same time, so that helped too I'm sure. Still running the original secondary.

It sounds like the big issue with those clutches is the spider cracking in the primary. I would just inspect it and clean it real well (I've heard the dishwasher works great) and if it's tight with no cracks I think it's good to run. Assemble it without the spring and its pretty easy to feel if it moves smoothly with no slop. Blowing it out with compressed air often like you do helps a ton in making them last a long while.

Anylizer

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2005
Top 'O the Great Basin... almost
I maintain my clutches religiously. They are clean & serviced every 800 mi.
The spider on my wifes '06 M-7 went out through the belly pan at 2100mi.
Change it now... it's not worth the potential personal injury or damage to your sled when it fails...
If it comes apart at high RPM, it can also bend the crankshaft causing expensive engine repairs.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have seen 600 to 6000 miles to fail. We rebuild hundreds of primaries and I always tell people riding mountains that it is a good idea to rebuild every 1200 to 1500 miles. Prevention goes a long way on a clutch.

Premium Features