• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M tuning

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Hey guys, one year on my sled and loving it. 05 M7 162, just has a slp can. I got slp twins so those will go on this year. As well as vforce 3 reeds. I'm going to do the full slp kit, with the intake, clutching and boondocker box. I also plan on going to the power claw 2.25 to replace my attack 20.

My questions are:
Do I need to add fuel or remove some due to the reeds? (Basic setup, I know how to read plugs n piston wash)

Do I need to adjust clutching/gearing for the powerclaw track? I have the diamond drive.

Anything else you'd suggest for this setup? I've got stock skis and Simmons I and II. It's also got the forward arm relocation bracket on the skid, and the factory fox shocks. ( limited model)

Thanks for your help, Brian

S
Sep 18, 2013
Hey guys, one year on my sled and loving it. 05 M7 162, just has a slp can. I got slp twins so those will go on this year. As well as vforce 3 reeds. I'm going to do the full slp kit, with the intake, clutching and boondocker box. I also plan on going to the power claw 2.25 to replace my attack 20.

My questions are:
Do I need to add fuel or remove some due to the reeds? (Basic setup, I know how to read plugs n piston wash)

Do I need to adjust clutching/gearing for the powerclaw track? I have the diamond drive.

Anything else you'd suggest for this setup? I've got stock skis and Simmons I and II. It's also got the forward arm relocation bracket on the skid, and the factory fox shocks. ( limited model)

Thanks for your help, Brian

Do some research on twins. You will more than likely struggle with tuning them. No clutch changes for track swaps.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
SLP twins are pretty straight forward. They aren't finicky race setups. You'll be ok.

Rebuild your shocks, your back will thank you.

The reeds won't make as big of a difference as the pipes do. Do you have a stock intake? Look at doing something different if you do. You'll be increasing your fuel.

Keep the stock gearing but you'll have to re clutch for the extra power. I preferred my Simmons I over everything else other than the Powder Pro's which ended up on it.

035c714ef956fc43ca1adb8c52b16285.jpg

0f1e976080a1be7692560d2271dcf875.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Sep 23, 2011
Durango, Co
Im not worried about tuning it, I just want to know which way the reeds will take me. I have a mtn max with SLP triples. It runs good, I think the duals will be fine.

My shocks were rebuilt 2 season ago.

Clutching will be however SLP recommends to start with. I was going to use the SLP air horn per their suggestion. Ill possibly go to something different in time, but would like to start with that. I've had great success with the SLP and the vforce reeds on my Mtn Max, but had to go 2 sizes larger on the carb jets for the reeds. This being EFI I just wasnt sure how much to compensate out of the box for these.

How'd you set the suspension up? I'm having issues getting mine dialed in. Its a bit harder to tune then my old sled. I cant keep the track under me. Most of what I ride is setup snow, so I figure the new track will help alot.

Thanks for your input, Brian

B
Nov 26, 2007
Lake Tapps, Wa
I ran the slp twins for years with good luck on both stock and a bb. SLPs map is a pretty good start. I had to pull fuel out throught to get it just right, but i had a rkt head on it. I also ended up with the stock intake, it didn't like the big air horn. I clutched it with cpc adjustables and cat orange/white in the primary and 10.4 secondary w straight 36 and orange spring. Also geared down to 55/65. This got me consistant 40-45 mph on the hill hangin with the 800s no problem. Can't do much with the stock skid, save up for the float skid. And upgrade the back of the tunnel for sure.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
-My experience at high altitude is to run a good single pipe or even stock Cat instead of twins.

--Twins make a fun and peaky powerband and feel faster and more powerful, but overall
they really are not and you lose a lot of lowend and midrange..

--My experience also is running a single pipe with trail porting worked really well on the sleds i had it done...

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'll reiterate what I said before. Don't be afraid of SLP twins. They are built to be very user friendly and not overly peaky. These are not hard to clutch and offer damn near stock like reliability. You will not have a problem running them.

As far as posts telling you not to run them, I doubt they have experience with your particular setup. Hell I have a Union Bay 670 Royax with Jaws twins and I hate how finicky they are. Wish I could find a nice fat boy single for that sled. But that's not even close to the same ballpark as your M7 with SLP twins. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
M7

1. you want performance you will not find it in the twins, and the caat is not a Yamaha ( yamahas respond to pipes because their stock pipe are junk, not so with cat and polaris in that vintage.

2. if stock it desperately needs geared same as the later model 010 sleds in that chassis..........toook cat 5 years to figure that out, don't fool with stock intake...........proven no hp there. If you ride in the mtns in deep snow then the air intake plenum under the hood needs the hot air hole plugged and more cold air ventss behind the speedo cluster frog skinzed............all std stuff to run in the back country 10 years ago.

In doubt, just find a 2010 to copy and look at and make drive train the same. Good clutch weights, later bigger secondary sheeves, orange cat spring stock helix, no bull chit stuff necessary, stock m7 will run, most don't because they get loaded down with stupid power down dragging $50 accessories.

New 2.6 track, you will need to adjust clutching or your clutching is poor, you will need more secondary spring tension on that orange spring with your 05 adjustable spring pressure helix allows ( later years don't have..........bad deal on the m8

10,000 plus threads from way back on making this run and they can, most gave up on these sled because they didn't understand the clutch's. motor ok if you tone down the gas a little.

Premium Features