• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

big horns vs. togwotee

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
Wife and I are heading out west again this year, been going to togwotee for many years. Thinking of trying something new this year, elk view inn, in the big horns.

Late march is when we like to go. We are not extreme riders by any means but like riding in the meadows, trees, and occasional hills for me while she watches at the bottom. We don't mind taking it easy on trails for a while too for a change of pace.

Biggest thing is we like to ride and put on some distance, not go to one hill for a day.

Is this a good choice or stick with what we know.

I have already bookmarked the snotel for that area

Ditch pickle wis

Lifetime Membership
Mar 11, 2010
In my opinion, you just described the Big Horns. Meadow, bowls, tress, not real high climbs - just the type of riding I like to do. I've ridden both and actually prefer the Big Horns over Togwotee. Both are great, however. If you do things other than Snowmobiling, there is more to do in Jackson, Dubois area than at the top of the Big Horns. Make sure you book your reservations early.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I have been both places and am planning on getting my wife into going out west with me a few times this year and I was thinking Togwotee would bethe place to take her. Better accomadations and trails to break her in easy. I dont want to scare her right away.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
How about West Yellowstone. I have been to all and yellowstone has way better amenities and trails and the terrain can be as relaxed or extreme as you want depending which direction you go. Ride anywhere from big sky down to island park

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
My pic would be Tog. The big horns just don't get the snow that Tog gets. The horns can get snow but sometimes it is very hit and miss.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Lets not forget the Snowies. Gets good snow and has everything you want. Ride from the door at Albany Lodge or trailer up and stay in Centennial.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Lets not forget the Snowies. Gets good snow and has everything you want. Ride from the door at Albany Lodge or trailer up and stay in Centennial.

exactly!

the snowy range has tons of trails and great scenery & plenty of meadows and hills, albany lodge sounds like a great spot for you

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
The horns will be good that time of year. I would look at staying at high country lodge. Great place and great people plus you are closer to the good spots if they get a dump. Both places are great and you can't go wrong either way.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Out of all the places mentioned West Yellowstone has the most accommodations. It actually feels like you are in a town. Haven't ridden Big Horns but driven through it in the winter. Been to West, Alpine, Tog, Snowies, Cooke and various places in Colorado.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
With what you are asking for, I would also consider the Black Hills.
You will not find a better marked trail system, period.

Stay Trailshead Lodge or Deadwood or anywhere in between.

Shorter drive & no trail fee if you are licensed in your own state.
(I wish the rest of the states would do this)

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
With what you are asking for, I would also consider the Black Hills.
You will not find a better marked trail system, period.

Stay Trailshead Lodge or Deadwood or anywhere in between.

Shorter drive & no trail fee if you are licensed in your own state.
(I wish the rest of the states would do this)

Once they have been to togwotee there is no comparing the black hills. The only thing the hills have to offer is the great trails. Off trail gets beat so fast and snow depth cant be compared. It is a great place for a starter rider or for the trail and crossover person. Not trying to put down the hills but this is the truth

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Once they have been to togwotee there is no comparing the black hills. The only thing the hills have to offer is the great trails. Off trail gets beat so fast and snow depth cant be compared. It is a great place for a starter rider or for the trail and crossover person. Not trying to put down the hills but this is the truth

I agree with you & feel the same way for what I am looking for in riding.

But here is what they asked for...

" We are not extreme riders by any means but like riding in the meadows, trees, and occasional hills for me while she watches at the bottom. We don't mind taking it easy on trails for a while too for a change of pace.

Biggest thing is we like to ride and put on some distance, not go to one hill for a day."

I still feel they would enjoy themselves in the Black Hills

Ryan-41

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne, Wyoming
www.myspace.com
I think the Big Horns would work perfect, yes they don't get the snow that Tog gets, but you are looking for just a nice area with some meadows.The snow is normally really good that time of year and get big storms around that time. The Big Horns are diverse and have a good trail system with a lot of terrain not far off the trail.
If you go to the Snowies, I would park at Albany instead of Centennial, it is normally windy and miserable going over the top on the Centennial side!

Good Luck,

RYan

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2010
North Dakota (US)
I don't have experience riding in Tog, but I have many years of experience in the Big Horns. If you plan on doing quite a bit of trail riding, the horns will be fun for you. The trails always seem to be groomed, and there are plenty of powder playing areas near the trail. If you are feeling adventurous, you can find some pretty awesome areas if you explore a little.

C

CCGR Guide

You should come stay with us at Crooked Creek. We've got it all, except for the big crowds. If you want to ride somewhere with lots of trails and easy access to awesome off trail riding, we've got it. We are on the same trail system as Togwotee but, further south so we don't have near as much traffic.

Our website is www.crookedcreek-gr.com if you have any questions our phone number is 307-455-2815 my name is Nick you can ask for me when you call.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I grew up riding in the big horns. That area is very open with lots of rolling hills. Great for off trail riding without having to be riding mountain sleds to get around. The Wind Rivers are tons of fun. I would agree about Crooked Creek. Years ago we made a trip a year up there and always stayed at one of the places on Union Pass. After a bad experience at the line shack we haven't been back. Probably should try that area again. Usually not a lot of snow right there, but 10 miles gets you into great riding. Someone mentioned the Snowy Range. I lived in Laramie for 15 years. That is my personal favorite. Tons of snow. Riding for all skills. Not a lot of services there. These days it's Island Park. Haven't lived here long so I am still trying to get to know the area. I don't think you can go wrong in any of the places mentioned.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
In my opinion, you just described the Big Horns. Meadow, bowls, tress, not real high climbs - just the type of riding I like to do. I've ridden both and actually prefer the Big Horns over Togwotee. Both are great, however. If you do things other than Snowmobiling, there is more to do in Jackson, Dubois area than at the top of the Big Horns. Make sure you book your reservations early.
Yes I agree with DPW, you have described the Bighorns.(One word) Snow conditions at the time mean everything of course. And it can get very windy. And as others have said Togwotee generally gets more snow. And if you are leaving from Minnesota the Bighorns are closer. :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features