• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you bring gas to the mt or just buy it there?

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I was just wondering if you prefer to bring gas to the mountan and what you use to haul it up in or just buy it up at the lodges? I was just thinking of ways to save a little money and since im a farmer i have fuel barles that go in the back of the pickup. I can buy 91 cheeper here than up there. Just wanted everyones thoughts!! Thanks

DUKHTR3

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
I have been thinking the same thing. Biggest benefit to me would me knowing it is ethanol free. I know the lodges have ethanol free but gas station in towns are a different thing.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I agree on supporting the locals and would do it all day long but when I have to fill 4 sleds up everyday it adds up fast when it is over 4 bucks up there. just trying to save a little money so we can maybe go on another trip per year if we can shave enough off every trip

Sask22

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2012
Laramie, WY
I almost always haul gas up. I ride the snowies, so I fill in Laramie. [tends to be the cheapest fuel for me] I have a 110 gal tank for my pick up, just make sure your fuel hose is ul listed.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
I buy on the mountain. I appreciate that they are open. Life would be much more difficult if they were closed. Those places also serve food, beverages and give folks a warm rest stop. Just my two cents.

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Great points about buying on the mountain to support the locals!

I run straight AV so I bring as much with me as I can and then mix in a little bit of pump if I don't think I'll have enough to last the entire trip.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
$.02

We buy our gas and most of our food and drinks there. Support the locals. If they go out of business then what do we do? I can't see hauling 300+ pounds of extra fuel 1200+ miles saving me a whole lot of money. Plus gas is always cheaper in WY than here. :face-icon-small-sho

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I usually buy my gas at my destination but if they are going to rape a guy on the price that is a different story. Certain locations tend to get greedy if I'm going there bulk tank will be going in truck bed.

sledcaddie

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Lincoln, NE
buying gas

We usually buy gas in Larimie - fill sleds and three 5-gallon cans per sled. We used to have a guy with us that had a 160 tank in back of his pickup. That was like having our own gas station with us. Of course, we burn more than 5 gallons a day, so we buy on the mountain. When we do, we usually buy some food and beverages too. That helps support the local businesses. We also support them by staying on the mountain at local lodges/cabins. We have trailered daily from Laramie. That makes for a long day.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I bring cans with me I just have a hard time paying 1.50 to 2.25 extra a gal at a resort . I know every one has to make a buck but Usually the bar sels gas and they make plenty off my drink and food so no guilt on my end

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
Resorts

I ride the snowies mostly and have gotten to know a couple resorts very well and ya they might make a 1-$1.50 a gallon but a lot of these resorts are really struggling and have a lot of overhead to cover and it cost them a lot to have fuel trucked up the mountain. But let's not forget the convienace and services they supply most of these people go out of there way to help if we need something supply needed serviices and kick money in for the groomed trails we are riding on. So if you want to same $10 a day for the service these people give us go ahead but I prefer to support them and keep them open.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
A lot of these places are struggling because they paid to much for the business to be there on the hill. I know what it costs to get gas delivered on the mtn. An extra 1.00$ to 1.25$ covers it easy after that it's greed.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
The money we spend on fuel for our sleds is minimal compared to the rest of what it cost us for the rest of our snowmobile trip. It is by far the cheapest part of our trip!:face-icon-small-con

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I guess my way of thinking is if I had just one sled to fuel up then by all means i would do it on the hill and I have in the past. But when I bring the family and that is 4 sleds plus rent one plus fuel for the pickup and all the meals it adds up. I figure it will cost me ruffly between $75-$100 bucks a day depending on what they charge more up on the hill than bringing my own fuel. So if i can save that per day that means I can spend a day or two more or even another trip by the end of the year. I am all for supporting the places on the hill. I have been sledding the black hills since 1995 and the horns since 2010, and my family loves it both places. I hope they all can survive so we can keep coming back and haven a good time, isn't that what its all about. So thats where I am coming from when I started this thread, trying to save money to come again not to take away from the places we stay at.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I haven't found prices are really that outrageous enough for me to bother getting a tank/pump and dealing with it myself. Much easier at the pump.

03RMK

Jan 26, 2011
Council Bluffs, IA
We usually buy fuel/drinks/snacks on the mountain. I will gladly pay a little extra to not have to mess with cleaning out a diesel tank and hauling gas along, because I want the same store to be there and open on the next trip. In all honesty, we are not involved in the world's most practical hobby. What's an extra couple bucks a gallon when you've got a $50k+ pickup and a $25k trailer with 5 late model mountain sleds. Just my 2 cents, but the convenience outweighs the extra cost in my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features