• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

togwote

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Here is another:

Class:Four Hour Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance, and Rescue
State:Minnesota
Date:Thu Dec 18, 2014
Time:6:00pm
Directions:
Country Cat
38585 County Rd 186
Sauk Centre, MN
www.countrycat.com

Additional Details:
“Avalanche Awareness, Avoidance and Rescue” Updated and revised presentation. Learn how to avoid deadly mistakes, what equipment works best, human factors in avalanche accidents, how to rescue effectively, increase your chances of surviving an avalanche, evaluate terrain, avoid terrain traps, recognize trigger points, analyze stability and increase your survival skills.

Cost:$49. All participants receive a discount on avalanche gear.
320-352-3534
trevor@countrycat.com

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
Another FREE one:

Dec. 19 Duluth, MN Duluth Lawn And Sport 6 p.m.
Contact Darren (218) 628-3718 or sales@dulluthlawnandsport.com

It is a good class and you will learn a lot. Mike keeps it interesting I have been to a couple and both times there have been guys or groups of guys that have been involved in an avalanche.
The last one, one of the guys was buried and almost didn't make it. Got caught in a slide on a hill side with trees that didn't look very avalanche prone at all.
I know that have been going out there for 20+ years and won't take a class and don't carry gear. It's tough to convince them to go. I figure if I go and keep going maybe one or two of them will tag along, and eventually convince more to go.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I agree with having good equipment and classes. I believe the forest service requires a beacon not sure only ridden there last year. But the problem I have is this is still the Good old USA and if f7 decides to ride wide open that's his choice. I was at tog last year when it snowed heaved for a week the guides were out every nite bringing in some dumb asses. To many people depend on search and rescue to get them out of jambs that they shouldn't be in. It can happen to anyone in the backcountry just seeing to much of it recently. Hats off to the guides at tog they don't have to go out but they do. Very few groups file a plan with a lodge or resort and say this is where we will be riding for today. Would help search and rescue a lot on where to start looking.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I never understood why people think climbing steep long dangerous hills sounds fun. High marking up a hill all day no thank you sounds boring and there will always be someone with more money and more power takes no skill at all. Id rather play on the hills with all the trees. Plus I don't like the thought of getting in an avalanche. This kid needs to chill out people are just looking out for your life and your buddies.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
Another FREE one:

Dec. 19 Duluth, MN Duluth Lawn And Sport 6 p.m.
Contact Darren (218) 628-3718 or sales@dulluthlawnandsport.com

I know that have been going out there for 20+ years and won't take a class and don't carry gear. It's tough to convince them to go. I figure if I go and keep going maybe one or two of them will tag along, and eventually convince more to go.
I would not get in the truck or let some one in my rig for a trip that was not at minn capable of finding a beacon in my back field.
I just wont ride with some one who has no equipment or cant use it.
it is not there life I am worried about

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I would not get in the truck or let some one in my rig for a trip that was not at minn capable of finding a beacon in my back field.
I just wont ride with some one who has no equipment or cant use it.
it is not there life I am worried about
I hear you clucking, big chicken.

Fortunately we seem to always ride with some locals who are in the know. So we do always end up with a few who are trained and ride with the right gear.

H
Feb 7, 2008
and like I said we'd rent becans out there. and if you know a place that does avy training in MN id probably go to it. and yeah to the me being bullet proof I know im not, and I don't think that it will never happen to me ive been out there and have people in my group set of small slides and had a couple come down in them. the reason I don't have a beacon personally is I get out west once or twice a year max and would rather rent one then buy one. if you wanna gift me one ill gladly take it other than that im not gonna buy one until more than 1 or 2 people in the group have their own.

What part of MN are you from? I know there is a Avy Coarse in Mankato the first week of Dec. when we rode in Togwotee, we hired Lefty to guide us. We had so much fun we hired him more days!!

E

eman0993

Aug 19, 2009
Duluth, MN
I think the guy bailed on his own thread. Not sure what he expected though. I know duluth lawn and sport has a class Dec 19th I believe as well

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I hear you clucking, big chicken.

Fortunately we seem to always ride with some locals who are in the know. So we do always end up with a few who are trained and ride with the right gear.

lol my fear is not the death but that time spent awake unable to move or see just before death. I imaging it has to feel like for ever before u finally pass out . I at least want to have the illusion the guys I am with can use there equipment . would be unbearable being buried knowing the guys u are with have no chance on finding u. that's the time u wish it happened in the trees

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Along with the proper equipment and the knowledge of proper use of that equipment I would add checking avalanche reports on web sights for the areas you plan to ride and or with knowledgeable locals.

I hope we can all ride safe. Keep our group safe and not be offended by those giving sound advice about doing so.

Ride fun, ride hard, most of all ride safe.

Nooby

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
looking for long steep climbs in that area. if you have a map pic or trail intersection.

Having spent almost the last 30 yrs snowmobiling the Togwotee area, 17 yrs guiding out of Togwotee , Jules bowl is my least liked area, just too damn dangerous, there is 2.5 million acres from Togwotee to Three Waters to ride in, 2 different National Forests, about 100K acres will kill you, why would anyone with NO Avalanche training or knowledge attempt any of these kill zone riding areas?
Carter makes a great point, it is a terrible thing to get that call to go out and start that search effort. To believe that you can RENT A BEACON and be safe is A fallacy, you and everyone in the party MUST be trained and knowledgable in Avalanche Detection and Avoidance , otherwise, sadly that beacon is just a cold body locator. There is NO subistute for training, and more training.... I can tell you from personal knowledge and experience that there is nothing worse than a trip that ends wrong and results in an empty seat on the trip home.
This is my personal opinion and some life experience.

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
Mrs Bubba's Two Cents (common sense)

Several of us have attended Mike Duffy's avalanche class at least twice. He is a great person who takes this to heart. NO ONE is allowed to ride with me unless we have all have avalanche gear. Those of us who don't climb but like to watch realized we used to sit in the avalanche runway zones! I was very naïve when I started riding. Mike Duffy presents a great class and brings along equipment to look at. I missed attending his class in Madison, SD last week and feel really guilty about it. There are plenty of his classes in Minnesota too. Don't get upset with all us old farts trying to tell you what to do. Do yourself a favor and go to his class. We are flatlanders and we realize when we ride that the mountains are the boss. :face-icon-small-hap Togwotee has always made me nervous due to high amount of slides. Was there two years ago and Ms Togwotee did not want anyone on her mountain that weekend. Parking lot full of wrecked sleds, ER in Jackson full of hurt sledders (Bubba included). I told my husband I will not go back to Tog unless we go with a guide. Just be careful and attend a class. You will be surprised what you learn. (The first time I went sledding in West Yellowstone, my sister and I wondered why everyone had a backpack on. We decided they had snacks in their bags :noidea:. Good thing we were trail riders at the time. Oh boy!)
Kristi
"Winner of the Bonehead Sledder Award for 10 years Running":second:

D
Dec 23, 2008
Up in da mountains eh.
Damn kids....

I think the moral of the story is that it doesn't matter: you can take the classes and buy all the stuff, then drive your truck and trailer out to Togwotee- talking about how you're gonna "be safe and take it easy", but whether young or old, experienced or not: once your group of out of shape, testosterone fuelled, dehydrated, tired, stubborn, riders lacking any leadership get to one of the pristine, seemingly endless hill climbs with nobody else around- you will feel like it is your duty as a representative of the state of Minnesota to grab a handful of freshly-turbocharged throttle and make your mark.
Once you're done, and your buddies are satisfied, ask yourself "is that worth the risk?" or "wonder why nobody else has climbed here?" or "isn't hill climbing getting old?".

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Well said, I grew up in the west riding big terrain on sleds, skis, snowboards and etc.. It still amazes me to see the un educated and ill prepared out in avi terrain. Many of them are locals, many of them are not. All of us need to try and help the uneducated as best we can but, we cant fix stupid......

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
Great point deap. If a hill has no track marks on it it's not rocket science to figure out why.
If you don't know why, carefully ride your sleds back to the trailer, load um up and GO GET AVALANCHE SAFETY CLASSES!
This is not my opinion, it's fact.

Nooby

Premium Features