• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpine vs. Tog or Cooke

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
I have been riding out west for 25 years and usually go to Cooke , Togwotee, West Yellowstone, snowies or Colorado. What is the riding like at Alpine compared to these places? Is it easy to get to good riding and easy to find good areas to ride in? Do you have to trailer or can you ride from town or a resort? Is it worth the longer drive from the Midwest? Thanks

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
You saved the best for last. If you never been get guide the riding is big. You can ride in town like cook

Tog is 1.5 hrs north of Alpine just in case you need a back up plan.

DPG

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I would say the its similar to Togwotee. The town is close to the riding so yes you can ride the shoulder of the road out to the parking area. There are also resorts you can stay at. Its no where near as crowded as the Snowies or Cooke. Also you only really need to ride about 5 miles down the trail to be able to get past the river and be able to head off trail. There is a good variety of terrain and its easy to find untracked snow. Most of the riding is 6500-9000 ft and the lower elevation trails along the river offer some great wildlife viewing. Lots of elk hang out in the area.

I have also ridden all the places that you listed and I would say its worth making the extra drive. Hope that sheds some light on it for you. Eric

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Heading to Alpine for the first time this year first week in March...excited, didn't know it was lower elevation guess I'll have to change my clutching compared to Cooke and togwotee then? 13 pro ran 10-60's in tog and Cooke.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Heading to Alpine for the first time this year first week in March...excited, didn't know it was lower elevation guess I'll have to change my clutching compared to Cooke and togwotee then? 13 pro ran 10-60's in tog and Cooke.

Its a toss up between 60's and 62's. Depends on sled, rider and snow. 60's will over rev on the trails. The "good" riding is above 8,000ft and they would likely be OK from there on up. Eric

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I would leave your clutching alone. The town is lower, yet the riding elevation isn't too much different. March will likely be a little warmer. The top of most of our peaks is over 10,000, not too much different that Togwotee.

mwboondockers

Midwest Boondocker’s
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Trempealeau,Wis.
alpine

Thanks for the info. Where is a good place to stay maybe with a hot tub? How is the night life? Where would be a good place to find a guide? Thanks.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
There is a Best Western in town called the Flying Saddle...Try Lincoln County Customs I think they offer guide services and all kinds of other sled related services.

DPG

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Alpine

We have rode all the areas you mentioned also. We made our first trip to Alpine last January. All I can say is definitely go to Alpine. We stayed at the Rockin M Ranch and I highly recommend staying there. Their cabins are extremely nice. If you want the bar scene you have to go to town for that. As far as riding goes we only rode from the cabin twice and the rest of the time we trailered south to the Willow Creek, and Smith's Fork parking areas. Rode the Salt River, and Wyoming range. Awesome and huge riding area. I especially liked the Poison Meadows just south and east of Poison Creek shelter and Strawberry Creek area from the Hydro dam. We found the dam by accident. Ask around before going there. Call Rob at the Rockin M. You will be happy you did!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features