• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Crooked Creek

MNSledShed

Premium Member
Nov 19, 2010
Southern Minnesota
I've gotten some info but I guess im looking for more opinions. Been staying at Togwotee the past 8 years. Wondering how far of a ride from Crooked Creek to get to some good hills to play on? Some say a couple miles and some others say 20miles. Staying at Togwotee we have gotten spoiled staying that close to the hills. Just trying to get an idea as we want to try something new.

T

Treerider1

Apr 27, 2014
Crooked Creek is a great place to stay. We have stayed there or in a cabin near there numerous times. Accommodations and food were excellent. I prefer the bar at CC vs TML. The staff is also great at CC.

As far as the riding goes, they don't usually have as much snow as TML does, but also consider there is far less sled traffic on Union Pass to track it up.

They do have some good terrain not all that far from the lodge, if the snow is decent, otherwise a 10-15 min trail ride will net you an abundance of riding areas. Not exactly sure what type of riding you are looking for, but good boondocking can be had, especially if you have a sense of adventure and are willing to get off the beaten path and explore. There are plenty of meadows to ride in, and some climbing, but not a great deal of open hills. It tends to be a bit more rolly polly than the Brooks Lake / TML area. If you want, I'm sure their guide Nick, would show you around the area quite well. He's a great guy.

I think its worth a shot imo.... Ive rode all over the west and still make 1 trip a year to CC because the overall experience is a great.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
We were there in January a couple of years ago. Our cabin did not have a TV and the Wi-Fi sucked as did the heat and I had two people under 21 so the smokey bar scene was not really an option. So what does one do when it's dark at 5:00? Not much. We left after two days and went up to TML. No smoking and they have TV's. I made my complaints then and I did at Hay Days last year. It did not do any good. I hope it is better now, because if they have snow it is a nice area and the new owners at the time were really nice people from MN. You said you want to try something new. Go over to Alpine. $.02

A
Nov 26, 2007
Chagrin Falls, OH
We have rented a cabin near CC for the past 7 years. I have rented from them a number of times. Overall, a very nice group of folks running the place. I can't speak to the quality of the rooms, but we usually go to the bar at night and have found it to have solid bar food, good beer selection and they let us poach their wifi even though we are not guests.

I brought my family out there this past summer and we rented some ATVs and the staff could not have been nicer. My son and I walked down to the rental shop around 8 PM, I knew it was closed but he wanted to see what we would be renting. While we were milling around the rentals, the staff came out from the bar and asked if we needed help. Told them we had a rental for the next day and they could see my son was excited about it so they processed the rental that night and we were off and no extra charge or anything.

In terms of riding, significantly fewer people than TML. Nevertheless, when we are there we usually do trailer up to TML one day that week.

sabels

Premium Member
Dec 19, 2007
Flatlands
Stayed there this January and it was a top notch operation. Great food great staff that go out of their way to help you out. Had tv and wifi but really not a priority as we tend to sit around and bs anyway. Nice thing was no new snow recently and the tml area was beat up but we road untracked all day for 3 days at CC. Would and will go back!

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Lava Mtn Lodge just before togwotee, I stayed at togwotee once, never again. Better food, drinks, prices and company at Lava. Same riding area.

Last edited:

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
I think every lodge/resort is for sale. I don't think Lava is closed for the winter. If it is, that might screw up our planned trip there in January. :face-icon-small-sho

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
FB post from Lava on Oct. 14th.

Wednesday Night Prime Rib Tonight at Wilderness Boundary Restaurant. It is our last day of Summer/Fall Season 2015. Prime Rib Night has been the way to finish and start our seasons lately and tonight is no exception. If you miss out on Prime Rib tonight we will be offering it in December when we Re-open for Winter Snow Season. www.lavamountainlodge.com

Premium Features