• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone know these idiots?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
"You" was used generally.

I have had this debate too many times, "they" always say it's about saving lives, thus my argument above. Total BS, as spending their money elsewhere would result in far more "lifesaving".

What they really want is to demand I have a receiver so I can potentially save their life.

Did you spend all day yesterday crying yourself sick over the 55,000 people who died yesterday, or the billions before them? So, why am I supposed to suddenly be so concerned about a fellow snowmobiler, is their life more important than all the other people who died? Many of their lives were preventable too. I didn't do much to prevent any of those preventable deaths yesterday, yet the beacon Nazi's demand that I spend my money to save them, talk about hubris. I am far more likely to spend that $ on some starving kid than some entitled prick demanding that I am responsible for saving his a$$.

If you or anyone else wants to buy a beacon that is your choice. I won't assert otherwise. On the other hand I won't be bullied into buying one, nor will I let anyone talk down to me when I make a choice they don't like.

Do I get to demand and deride those people who ride with no survival gear or adequate tools, etc. Virtually none of the people I see are prepared for an overnight stay, a far more realistic scenario that could kill them.

I let other people be responsible for themselves, I expect the same from myself.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I guess my whole problem with this thread is somebody posted a cool video and everyone has to start calling them idiots. It is like trashing on someones sled for sale thread when they had no intention of buying it to start with.
I leave it up to the person whether they want avy gear. You should have it but it is ultimately up to you. You shouldn't have to be told anything when you buy a sled. You should ultimately be responsible for yourself. If you don't know and want to know then you should take the responsibility to seek out someone or something to educate you. I have seen people who never wore helmets. would I do it? No. Do I care that they didn't have one? No. I don't wear my seat belt but it is up to me, not you. Could I get thrown out through the winshield and die? Yes. I have told my wife, a million times, that I will not live my life based on the worst things that can happen. Before anyone starts in on me I have all the gear and have worn airbags years before everyone started buying them. I don't ride with anyone that doesn't at least have a beeper, shovel and probe. I am concerned with my group and mine only. I would help anyone, in trouble, out but it is up to their group what they do and have. I know exactly where nuggetau is coming from. He isn't trashing on beepers, air bags and probes. He is pounding on all you people who are mucking up this thread on this video because you have watched a burandt video and know more about sledding than anyone now. You have to put down someone else to bring yourself up.He is saying he doesn't need osha or you to tell him whether it is safe. Safety is a common sense thing. You can't teach it. You either have it or you don't. What is safe to me might not be safe to you. Basically what I am saying is you can't fix stupid. He is talking about being responsible for yourself and your actions. That is something you don't see much of anymore. I guess it is the new world of face book where everyone has to know what everyone else is doing and be meddling in everyone else's business.

J
Jan 15, 2010
Hey nugget, you ever seen the frozen face of an avalanche victim? I guarantee you every one of em would rather have lived another 30 or 40 years and had a chance to die of a heart attack on the ****ter. Why wouldn't ya carry something smaller then a can of beer that you can buy used for the same cost as a night of drinkin that just might give you the chance to keep one if your buddies from dying of shear terror as their air ran out as you are standing a foot above them wondering what the f&@k to do?

Beacons aren't ineffective, most users are. Take the guys in Montana earlier this year, successful rescue 7' deep. Why? Cause they knew what the heck they were doing.

Last edited:
Premium Features