• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'15 Handlebars WTF

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So the '15 "Heavy Duty" bars look the exact same as the ones on my '14 that like to bend. I measured the diameter at all areas and they are the same. The actual thickness of metal used look the same if you look into the drilled hole in the middle. Looks like the same metal used too, but hard to know that for sure. From my take, these will bend just like my 2 sets of '14 bars did. And I never wrecked. They just bend from normal use and rollovers in pow. I'm not that heavy either. Cat sure made it look like these bars were new and HD in the accessory catalog...

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
So the '15 "Heavy Duty" bars look the exact same as the ones on my '14 that like to bend. I measured the diameter at all areas and they are the same. The actual thickness of metal used look the same if you look into the drilled hole in the middle. Looks like the same metal used too, but hard to know that for sure. From my take, these will bend just like my 2 sets of '14 bars did. And I never wrecked. They just bend from normal use and rollovers in pow. I'm not that heavy either. Cat sure made it look like these bars were new and HD in the accessory catalog...

The HD bars I measured were thicker walled than the stock 14 ones. Did you actually put a caliper on it to measure..?

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
No eye balled it. How much difference did you come up with and where did you measure it from? I can't get a caliper in the little hole in the middle. Doesn't look any different to me

I

Icedog

Feb 9, 2006
Grande Cache, AB
Just wondering when the bars are bending. I am 230 lbs without gear and we always roll our sleds over if the snow is soft enough. After 3 years on my '12 I have never bent a set of bars??

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I didn't bend any on my '12 either. My '14 bars were bending right after the outside of the rubber mountain bar handle. I'd be surprised if the wall thickness is any more than 1mm thicker on the 15 bars. I have a pretty good eye on thickness of stuff. Will try to actually measure the wall thickness later today.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Tubing thickness only needs to be a few thousands thicker to substantially stronger, and the material will make a huge difference

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States

The power of advertising can often be deceiving...I never seen OEM bars go beyond there minimum requirements when it comes to the rigidity of factory bars.

DPG

D
Sep 2, 2013
WY
Just curious, but what is the part number for the "new and improved" handlebars? I bought a set this spring due to the stockers bending every other ride, but haven't put them on yet. I also bought new handwarmers and grips. I think I'd rather spend the extra money now and buy the new handlebars instead of having to buy handlebars, grips, and handwarmers again halfway through the season.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
I asked Kincaids mechanic at Hay Days WTF is up with last years blue bars on McClure's and Kincaid's sleds ....he said they are/were prototypes from Cat that we're being tested ....with zero breaks or bends ....and they made there way to the Arctic Cat Catolog this year ...here's a pic

image.jpg

Premium Features