• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High idle on 2001 700 RMK

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
700 RMK (Mikumi rack carbs) is idling at +2500 rpm. Have loosened idle screw to the point that the slides are bottomed out and there is slack in cable but idle won't drop down. Doesn't appear to be any air leaks in any of the boots, crank case seals, etc. Mileage has gone through the floor at the same time. Could the TPS sensor be causing this problem and does anyone have the correct setting for testing and adjusting the TPS?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
Tps has more to do with timing. I am working on that exact machine. It has been one issue after another. Blown base gasket and then I found a broken carb adapter. Thought I would clean the carbs and found a broken needle. Oil pump was junk, went through a full bottle of oil with each tank of gas.
I would pull the idle jets and clean them. The Cat I did last week had high idle and the jets were partially plugged. Also check choke cable adjustment.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Check for torn carb boots or crank seal leaking, A high idle is often a lean condition. You can run it with one spark plug wire off at a time and see which cylinder is causing the fastest idle. Zero in on that cylinder.

P
Nov 16, 2012
i've got the same problem with my 99 700 twin, 3000 rpm idle with idle screws low down and adjustments on the wire fully screwed. some hours of riding passed out before my clutch side cylinder/base gasket blew out , all the prestone went out and made a f**king thick white smoke , gasket retails for 6.93 C$ at my polaris dealer , no more problems , just readjusted idle screws after replacing gasket :face-icon-small-win

G

goncrazy99518

Dec 13, 2007
anchorage,ak
So BB454 why do you say oil pump was junk. Mine burns a quart before a tank of gas. Can't adjust anymore down. 2001 700 rmk 3800 miles, 120 psi on both cylinders runs awesome. I know that's much but doesn't smoke anymore than buddies sleds, which are newer.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
When the oil pump fails it goes "wide open" so you go through alot of oil.

B
Mar 15, 2008
Tps has more to do with timing. I am working on that exact machine. It has been one issue after another. Blown base gasket and then I found a broken carb adapter. Thought I would clean the carbs and found a broken needle. Oil pump was junk, went through a full bottle of oil with each tank of gas.
I would pull the idle jets and clean them. The Cat I did last week had high idle and the jets were partially plugged. Also check choke cable adjustment.

hey i have a 2001 rmk 700 and i jsut rebuilt the top end new gaskets and everything and the pto base gasket just blew on me

B
Feb 28, 2013
Take the carbs off completly check the neekle jets that screw into the sides of the carbs, pull them out completly they will break off if you screw them in to tight inspect them vary closely the needle will taper almost to a sharp point and the tip will brake off if you screw it in to tight look into the hole the jet goes in look for the brass tip to see if it is broken put the broken jet in a drill and take a file make a point on it and use it try to push the broken piece through the hole or make a mark on it in the center so you can drill it out, the hole is about 38 thousands expect to spend most of the day and dont get the hole off center buy new jet and start with it about 3 1/2 turns out from the bottom these are fuel screws the more you open them the richer it will be. adjust slides and idle screws for optimum idle and acceleration take belt off and run there were you work on it. It was vary difficult for me be careful or you can ruin it.

Premium Features