• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

leaking 08 oil cap

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
I was wondering how people were fixing the oil lids and oil tank leaking problem or if there was an undate I didn't here about for this problem Thanks Madmini

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
mine and my buddys leaks like crazy with a half a tank. I was told by the dealer I was tightening the cap to tight. I pulled the seal out and put it back in. put cap on just snug. still leaked. got another seal to put in the cap to have two. still leaked. put it on as tight as you can. still leaks.
I got a insert from smitty, but it will not work with the stock cap so I got a older rev cap to use with the insert. Barely leaks now. before it was really, really, bad oil all over every where all the time. get the sled stuck on its side or roll it over and their was oil in the snow. :mad:
Alot of people have said they took it in to their dealer and got the oil tank replaced with a new one under warranty.

M
Dec 31, 2007
Any and all issues with leaking oil caps has to do with the operator. If it is over tightened once it will always leak. All my brothers and dads sleds had leaking caps, none of mine. Weather it was a polaris or doo. Somebody did me a favor and topped me up when I was gearing up, had to replace tank. Just seat the cap and then 1\4 turn just like an oil filter on your truck. Get down level with your tank and tighten cap and you will see how it cocks sideways just as it is about to tighten.

M

madmini660

Nov 6, 2008
lewistown mt
leaked since I got it so it was over tightend before I got it now way to fix but replace with new that total sucks they sure didn't have this problem of the revs and I've rode one since 04 so how can it be the oparators fault for a ****ty on ski-doo's side just like if you really side hill the primary rubs a hole in the bottom of the side panel/belly pan:confused:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Add a 3' hose to the vent tube and blow in it. You will hear the leak. Now loosen the cap a bit and you will actually find it stops leaking. The over tightening is deforming the threads and makes it leak. Put a Sharpie felt pen mark on the tank to mark the best position for the cap. Now run that extra tubing up and forward and out near the shock so when you over fill and the oil expands, it runs out and not on to your ecm.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
my oil cap on my m7 never leaked. I could put it on so tight I had to get a oil filter wrench to remove it and it never leaked.
I guess every one I know tightens the cap too much.

I guess doo should give a instructional video with every sled on how to tighten the cap like teth-air recomends. :rolleyes:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
There is an update/recall for the tank. If you look at the top of the tank you can see how out of round it is. Dealer/BRP pays !

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I dont know if there is an actual doo update for the tank, but they will replace the cap,, tank or both depending on what your dealer thinks it needs. Had 2 of my 3 X's replace. They were way out of round, more triangular than anything. Dealer replaced tank and cap on both. No questions asked, under warranty.

gr8skidoo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
MAPLE VALLEY WA.
WWW.I-90MOTORSPORTS.COM
Warranty will pay. We have replace about 80 this year, for free to customers. They deform when they are installed too tight.
Same with other issues people are having.
Ask your local dealers for help, with issues you are having.
snowest is a good source of info, but dealers can help fix problems.

Premium Features