• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Running turbo at sea level or close to it???

H
Sep 4, 2008
Minnesota
I didnt want to start a new thread for this but couldnt get a straight answer searching the web. Im going to be purchasing a silber turbo kit and do alot of riding out west but when we have decent snow in MN its fun to rip the ditchs and river bottom every now and again. Whats the story on running a turbo at low elevation with PUMP GAS say MN or WI or MI low elevation states. Is it doable with no worries or is it not recommended??? As you can tell im new to the turbo game??? Also didnt want to have to run race gas and want to be reliable hate breakdowns!!!!!

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I didnt want to start a new thread for this but couldnt get a straight answer searching the web. Im going to be purchasing a silber turbo kit and do alot of riding out west but when we have decent snow in MN its fun to rip the ditchs and river bottom every now and again. Whats the story on running a turbo at low elevation with PUMP GAS say MN or WI or MI low elevation states. Is it doable with no worries or is it not recommended??? As you can tell im new to the turbo game??? Also didnt want to have to run race gas and want to be reliable hate breakdowns!!!!!

They have a 3psi wastegate for the flats. also you may want to spend the extra to get a meth injection kit then you can run higher psi with lower octane or else run at sea level with pump at normal psi.

H
Sep 4, 2008
Minnesota
talked to justin he said its doable 3 to 4lbs of boost but we just talked for a breif min as i will call him when we both have more time to talk. Has anyone had first hand experience running there turbo around MN area????

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
Hello
I have been running BD turbos at sea level since -08
no matter what brand/kit
1:running 3-4# is nothing and pointless.
2:lower compression and use I/C no matter what they say!
3:i run 9 psi on 11-1 comp on pumpgas
4:10-12 psi with racegas mix for those special days!
Good Luck
Ed

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
I ran 6-7psi boost at 1100ft on 80% pump premium/20% 100ll avgas. Sled is 07 D7 stock head, no ic. This was northern MN, and I wasn't afraid to hold it open going across the lakes.

On a side note, I paid the money and bought silbers "low" psi wastegate actuator. Lowest I could get was 6psi. Factory garrett low boost actuator is 7psi and WAY cheaper.

C

cowboymann02

Jan 3, 2008
south sioux city,ne
PM a guy on her called outlaw addict. he lives by siouxfalls,SD and has a turbo on his dragon. guy knows his stuff and if not his buddy does. they are doing my turbo this fall.

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
I don't understand why so many people are against running some race fuel at low elevation. It is way cheaper than motor parts and if it is too expensive for your budget, you maybe are in over your head with the expense of a turbo. That being said, I run a 12:1 head in MN at 6 psi and an intercooler with 25% race fuel. I want to be on the safe side. I don't want to be on the edge of detonation. When I go ride I just want to enjoy it. If refueling is a problem, put a couple gallons of straight race fuel on your gasrack and blend it close when you pull into a fuel station.

H
Sep 4, 2008
Minnesota
turbo

Yea I hear ya mn2mtns its not that im against running race gas I am just new to this turbo deal so I just wanted to know what a guy can get by with I have no problem running 100ll being a pilot i have access to it easily and thats what i plan to do just wanted to know what guy is doin to maintain reliability around MN area. On the other hand I wont be running a intercooler.

mn2mtns

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2008
Montevideo, MN
Just be smart with your fuels and keep the boost down and you will probably be just fine. I have seen close to 14 psi unintentionally @ 1040' and everything lived to talk about it. That was on straight 108 motor octane fuel and 12:1 head with an intercooler. Ran like a cut cat. That little 700 carried skis until I lifted. Turbos are fun and can be run at low elevation reliably, but be ready to dig in the checkbook.

Premium Features