• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Southern bighorns riding?

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Does anyone ever ride the southern bighorns anymore? Seems like the northern horns gets talked about more. We used to ride the southern parts for many years, then there was a lot of problems with lodging on top, would like to go back this winter, does anyone know if there is anything open or do they still maintain trail systems in the meadowlark lake area.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Does anyone ever ride the southern bighorns anymore? Seems like the northern horns gets talked about more. We used to ride the southern parts for many years, then there was a lot of problems with lodging on top, would like to go back this winter, does anyone know if there is anything open or do they still maintain trail systems in the meadowlark lake area.

Meadowlark lodge has been renovated and is operational. Cabins, restaurant, They have fuel pumps there as well. Meadowlark ski lodge is open when the snow is adequate too. Trails are maintained routinely. I prefer the southern side when it has good snow. Less people and better terrain, imo

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
There is a fella here that owns the apartments by tensleep I think? He'll probably show up here when the snow does, but he was from MN...

Anyway my group had talked about going the southern side, but it seemed like the snow levels were noticeably lower and we weren't 100% sure there would be gas there. If there is gas/food/lodging I think I would be more likely to go there this year seeing how packed the northern side is and how fast it gets tracked up.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
No don't send everyone to track up my honey holes!!! But hopefully they get better snow there this year.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
No don't send everyone to track up my honey holes!!! But hopefully they get better snow there this year.

I mean it can't get much worse can it :face-icon-small-hap

Hopefully this will be a good year. I'll be up in rapid city Feb-April so it will be much easier to make a spontaneous trip further west

Premium Features