• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lava Mountain Lodge

T

thierracing

Jan 1, 2010
Fulda MN
So 8 buddies and I are planning a trip out to togwotee early feb for a week. right now we are looking at lava mountain lodge and renting two lodge rooms at like 100$ a night. So a good price. But what my questions are;

1.)how is the riding in that area? snow and terrain wise? never been out to tog before so looking for some advice. would like to see some steep stuff with some good steep tree riding. is it possible from this lodge? from the map it doesn't look like the lodge is to far into the crazy terrain so I thought id ask.

2.)is there trail access right off the lodge or will we have to trailer?

3.)how far of a ride is it to the tetons?

4.) what do you guys think of the lodge overall?

5.) what is available in the area for food?

6.) Anything bad about the place?

thanks in advance guys! not looking to break the bank so don't plan on staying at togwotee mtn lodge. so just kinda looking for good ideas and advice or input on what you guys would recommend.

M

mplynchmob

Nov 1, 2011
MN headed WY
Lava is a great place to stay. There will be 3 different groomed trail heads leaving the lodge this year. There is good riding 2-3 miles away in any direction. Lava MTN, Brooks MTN, Pinnacles MTNS, and two ocean are all close and have steep riding. You can't ride to the Tetons (they are in a National Park) from anywhere but there are lots of views of the Tetons from Togwotee pass. As far as food, Lava has excellent food. Up the road is Brooks Lake lodge and they are open for lunch/drinks from 11-2 which is also good. On the other side of the pass there is Togwotee Lodge also. If you are staying in the cabins you will have a kitchen also to cook your own food.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I recommend renting the big house if it's available. Has room to sleep 11 guys with no doubling up on beds. Large living room with 5 or 6 couches and fireplace. Kitchen is very big with lots of room to hang wet gear.

If you happen to have sled trouble get with Cowboy Jim. Has a heated shop that you can work on your sled.

Lodge is great. Food, bar and gas available right at the lodge. They do have a small selection of food items available.

You can ride from the lodge. Brooks Lake is just north of the lodge. The PB trail is also north of the lodge. That trail ties into the CD trail.

C

chanks7

Dec 3, 2007
I have heard lots of good things about this riding area, my group has the big house in lava for a week in January. We cant wait!

Y

yooper 8

Apr 14, 2008
You will have a great time. We have rented the big house a few times and it is great. There is sometimes not a lot of snow right at the lodge, but as you head up the trail and toward Togwotee pass, Brooks, etc. you will quickly get into great riding. Cowboy Jim is awesome and will help you with anything you need, including truly hilarious stories and constant jokes.....we found out he is n excellent welder too , after a buddy snapped off his steering post in a creek!
Have fun!

Premium Features