• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Great Places to ride this winter?

I
Jul 26, 2010
Rogers, MN
So for the past several years ive been riding in the Wind River Mountain range near Dubois. But ive been thinking that I go to some other places this year and get possibly a better riding experience.

Any recommendations on places and areas that have been great?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
im hopefully going to do some more exploring in the madres this year, only ridden there once

T

Treerider1

Apr 27, 2014
I'm also interested in this. Was wondering what the riding is like out of Pinedale? Is it a lot of trail riding from Encampment into the Sierra Madres?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
I'm also interested in this. Was wondering what the riding is like out of Pinedale? Is it a lot of trail riding from Encampment into the Sierra Madres?

When I rode over there two years ago we parked in the parking lot, which is like 10 miles from encampment. Then we rode over by bridger peak in an area these guys called the playground. I would guess it was a 15 mile trail ride to the area we played in. Rough estimates on the mileages... I would like to go to the madres and ride back into hog park reservoir and play around back there and maybe even dip down into colorado. Anyone ever done this? Seems like a long trail ride, but if you pack gas and get out early it should be doable.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Code:
When I rode over there two years ago we parked in the parking lot, which is like 10 miles from encampment. Then we rode over by bridger peak in an area these guys called the playground. I would guess it was a 15 mile trail ride to the area we played in. Rough estimates on the mileages... I would like to go to the madres and ride back into hog park reservoir and play around back there and maybe even dip down into colorado. Anyone ever done this? Seems like a long trail ride, but if you pack gas and get out early it should be doable.

South to co is a long trail ride, the best area you can access heading That direction is hahns peak.. The biggest problem with south is the wilderness boundary..

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I agree with owenb2 - We usually ride once a year from the Colorado side. The The Whiskey Park snotel provided us with a pretty accurate snow update before/during our trip last year. The area has gotten more popular over the last ~10 years, but we can still find new areas and fresh stuff each year. IMO unless you live in the area it isn't worth going for anything less than a solid two-three days of riding, staying at Hahn's peak etc. (it is off the beaten path and can be tricky to get in/out of - which is good/bad depending on how you look at it)

TK

Last edited:

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
What are some good areas to ride that dont get heard about as much? Ridden the horns, snowies, tog, and alpine. Jackson is on the list. What kind of riding is in the Pinedale area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoUltra

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Casper, WY
Pinedale has all kinds of riding I used to ride there a lot growing up. You can either go to The Upper Green, which is always good from mild to wild, and you can ride Horse Creek (aka Blind Bull). Horse Creek has some very technical areas, and I would consider it to be more extreme than the Upper Green, but I would really suggest going to both! They're about the same distance from town. I've also heard great things about the Madres, but unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of riding there. Maybe this year my brother and I will go exploring and see what it's all about.

Another place I used to ride a lot was Lake Viva Naughton (South Hams Fork) outside of Kemmerer, I've always enjoyed riding there no matter what the conditions were. There's some pretty nice playgrounds, as well as some really nice drainage's/creek beds if you can get in far enough North.

Premium Features