• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My Sled Wt (Nytro) & Comparison to a Rev

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Got the sled full of fuel and threw it at the scale.
2008 Nytro MTX 163
-163x16x2.4 CE (ported)
-7t, 3 pitch extors
-MODS skis
-Float 2s on the front
-Barkbuster front end
-7S battery (lt wt)
-"Yamaha" skid plate
-Mtn Tamer rear
-8" 2 wheel kit
-Better Boards
-gas rack
-lefty
-Impulse turbo, w/ surge tank

615.5 lbs WET (10 gal of fuel)
596 lbs WET (7 gal of fuel [calculated (6.5 lbs/gal)])

625.5 lbs WET w/ bunje, tunnel bag & tools/extras, gas can & strap
638.5 lbs WET w/ 2 gal of fuel in gas can [calculated], bunje, tunnel bag & tools/extras ---READY TO RIDE---

Also hung my dads 2005 800 Rev 156.
-156x16x2.5 CE
-7t, 3 pitch extros
-rear rack/light removed
-MBRP Trail can
-Simmons skis
-9" 2 wheel kit
-ice scratchers
-couple idler wheels removed
-"Doo" skid plate
-lefty

514.5 lbs w/ 2g of fuel in tank, ~3/4 oil in tank
568 lbs w/ 10g of fuel [calculated (6.5 lbs/gal)], full oil [added 1.5 lbs (guessed)]
574.5 lbs w/ 11g of fuel [calced], full oil

578 lbs w/ 10g, bunje, shovel & saw, gas can & straps, handle bar bag & extras
600.1 lbs w/ 11g, 2.4 gal of fuel in gas can [calced], bunje, shovel & saw, handle bar bag & extras ---READY TO RIDE---

DIFFERENCE
Nytro is 47.5 lbs heavier (10g of fuel vs 10g of fuel)
Nytro is 38.4 lbs heavier (READY TO RIDE vs READY TO RIDE)

We both have ~10 lbs of extra in gear/tools/storage.
The ready to ride wt changes due to fuel capacities for the Rev, holds aprox 1.4 gallons more FULL of fuel.

Imptro hung
2008-11-27weighin01.jpg

Imptro wt
2008-11-27weighin02.jpg

Imptro w/ extras
2008-11-2703weighinwextras.jpg

Imptro wt w/ extras
2008-11-2704weighinwextras.jpg

IMptro full of fuel
2008-11-2704weighin.jpg

Rev hung
2008-11-2705revweighin.jpg

Rev wt
2008-11-2706revweighin.jpg

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nice,

Great post ! Yammy almost as light, twice the power, 10 times the reliability, what else could a guy ask for. LOL, the belts probably last 12-14 times longer as well. 38 lbs means *** all, period !

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
LMAO....yeah sure buddy

Nice,

Great post ! Yammy almost as light, twice the power, 10 times the reliability, what else could a guy ask for. LOL, the belts probably last 12-14 times longer as well. 38 lbs means *** all, period !

Let me start by saying I ride an Apex Mnt. BUT your a fool to compare these two sleds! That sled costs $30000.00 to buy and build as mentioned and it's still 38 lbs heavier? If you put thirty grand into that Skidoo it would be just as reliable and just as fast yadda yadda yadda! There is NO WAY you can compare these two sleds PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Nytro Stock for Rev stock is a solid comparison and the Nytro is a much nicer riding sled etc. but it still weighs 75 lbs more then the Skidoo....this is FACT, and they both have 138 h.p. stock! That's the real comparison, not a blown, built Nytro to a Stock Rev. I love my Apex but it's a HEAVY PIG I don't care what anyone says and the Nytro hides it a little better but it's also a heavy pig stock for what it is! Yamaha is WAY behind in the weight battle and will have to continue to improve before the others build a decent 4 stroke that has better suspension and weighs less.....it's coming!
ROTAX....I like your sled and wish I had the dollars for one like that....congrats! :D

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
Yeah, my OP was not to directly compare the 2 wt/hp/cost wise.

Just 2 weigh ins of 2 diff sleds.. I even said it in the garage, it'd make me sick to know how light a 2s could be if there was even 10k $ put into a wt loss plan. :p

But I will disagree that you can even compare a stock Nytro vs a stock 800cc 2s.
A stock Nytro is the equivilent of a healthy stock 600 or 700 2s power wise.

And theres no doubt, my Nytro is still a heavy pig. :p I know it and can feel it. I'm not denying it. I was just posting some facts..well, mostly, aside from a few calculations.

But considering I calculated and guessed my Nytro weight at 616 lbs WET...I feel I came pretty darn close with a 615.5, so should be close on the rest of the calcs above. :)

And a 2s 'just as reliable'...I dunno. How many miles are you turbo 2s guys getting on a top end..or before internal engine maintance? Serious question, and curious about it. I doubt there are many turbo 2s going 3000+ miles before either some sorta failure or needing pistons/rings???
I guess Im sorta asking in the wrong section. lol

Let me start by saying I ride an Apex Mnt. BUT your a fool to compare these two sleds! That sled costs $30000.00 to buy and build as mentioned and it's still 38 lbs heavier? If you put thirty grand into that Skidoo it would be just as reliable and just as fast yadda yadda yadda! There is NO WAY you can compare these two sleds PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!
Nytro Stock for Rev stock is a solid comparison and the Nytro is a much nicer riding sled etc. but it still weighs 75 lbs more then the Skidoo....this is FACT, and they both have 138 h.p. stock! That's the real comparison, not a blown, built Nytro to a Stock Rev. I love my Apex but it's a HEAVY PIG I don't care what anyone says and the Nytro hides it a little better but it's also a heavy pig stock for what it is! Yamaha is WAY behind in the weight battle and will have to continue to improve before the others build a decent 4 stroke that has better suspension and weighs less.....it's coming!
ROTAX....I like your sled and wish I had the dollars for one like that....congrats! :D

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

Sorry, let me rephrase:

"Yammy almost as light, twice the power, 10 times the reliability, expensive, what else could a guy ask for. LOL, the belts probably last 12-14 times longer as well. 38 lbs means *** all, period !"

How foolish of me. Truth hurts i guess !

Last edited:
T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
I'm new to the turbo thing but not new to Rotax. I would like to know how you can get 240 reliable hp from an 800r on premium fuel for any money? The Doo's are a great sled but I was never prepared to keep one past 4,000mi.

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I'm new to the turbo thing but not new to Rotax. I would like to know how you can get 240 reliable hp from an 800r on premium fuel for any money? The Doo's are a great sled but I was never prepared to keep one past 4,000mi.

No doubt!! They are like the Mercury's of the snowmobile world....great performers, but you better know how to wrench if you own one! I have my Nytro now because I had 3500 miles on my Rev...it was an incredible machine, never let me down, but was going to need some replacement parts before last season. Now I have a sled with a motor that will outlast 6 Revs, and is cheaper to operate.

Great post, Rotax! We all know we ride heavy machines, but "it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools".....

Ride on.....

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
No doubt!! They are like the Mercury's of the snowmobile world....great performers, but you better know how to wrench if you own one! I have my Nytro now because I had 3500 miles on my Rev...it was an incredible machine, never let me down, but was going to need some replacement parts before last season. Now I have a sled with a motor that will outlast 6 Revs, and is cheaper to operate.

Great post, Rotax! We all know we ride heavy machines, but "it's a poor carpenter who blames his tools".....

Ride on.....

ditto dat!!! was in same boat...4 years...warranty was out, started to get concerned, switched sleds...and neither sled was stock, as I dont ride stock...

but there is NO way possible to get my Rev to the HP (P) level of my Nytro...but it is possible to get my Nytro to the Rev level of weight (W), and there is NO way possible to get my Rev to the reliability (R) of my Nytro...In sledding for me, it is the fun factor- Here is the formula (P/W)+R= Permagrin....whichever one has the better result = where I spend my money!!!

no problem spending more money on a sled that will have a higher result...

IMG_3785Medium.jpg

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
clarification

Yeah, my OP was not to directly compare the 2 wt/hp/cost wise.

Just 2 weigh ins of 2 diff sleds.. I even said it in the garage, it'd make me sick to know how light a 2s could be if there was even 10k $ put into a wt loss plan. :p

But I will disagree that you can even compare a stock Nytro vs a stock 800cc 2s.
A stock Nytro is the equivilent of a healthy stock 600 or 700 2s power wise.

And theres no doubt, my Nytro is still a heavy pig. :p I know it and can feel it. I'm not denying it. I was just posting some facts..well, mostly, aside from a few calculations.

But considering I calculated and guessed my Nytro weight at 616 lbs WET...I feel I came pretty darn close with a 615.5, so should be close on the rest of the calcs above. :)

And a 2s 'just as reliable'...I dunno. How many miles are you turbo 2s guys getting on a top end..or before internal engine maintance? Serious question, and curious about it. I doubt there are many turbo 2s going 3000+ miles before either some sorta failure or needing pistons/rings???
I guess Im sorta asking in the wrong section. lol

>>>>
First off the Rev 800HO and the Nytro IS A GOOD comparison stock, BECAUSE.... the older Rev 800's only made 138-140 h.p. which is what the Nytro makes and the Nytro even has more torque........now why isn't that a fair comparison?
Also I said if you put that money into the Rev it would be just as reliable but I DIDN'T say it HAD to have the rotax engine! For $30000.00 you could build a YamaDoo with the boosted Nytro motor and carbon tunnel and be atleast 50lbs lighter compared to the boosted Nytro. OH and you could do this with the same reliability and H.p. because it would have the heart of a Yamaha.......now do you see? There are many guys ridign these conversions as we speak with phenominal results. Like I said, I too choose to ride a heavy pig but I'm not brand biased and I am looking at the big picture and objectively comparing the numbers.. CHEERS! :D This response was in regard to summitboys comment, painting the glorious Nytro in a false light....just wanted to bring to his attention the reality of the comparison in anything other then weight.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How is this statement "False light" ???? Everything i said was correct. Let me break it down for ya:

1. Almost as light - Within 38 lbs

2. Twice the power - 260 HP on pump fuel

3. 10 times the reliability - Everyone knows Yamaha is more reliable, you can compare all the engines Doo/Owner has to replace every year compared to Yamaha Nytro/Apex/Vector (boost or stock). The comparison is ten fold for sure !

I really don't think i was misleading anyone with my "foolish comparison" !

Premium Features