• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SOME REASONS FOR VIBRATION WHEN CHANGING TRACKS AND/OR DRIVERS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Mountainhorse do you get any vibration from the "power claw" style drivers?

Nothing pronounced...The PC style drivers do not ride on top of the metal clips...so there is no driver to clip contact... with the PC style...just rubber to rubber until it starts to ratchet and then the tooth will touch the clip.

A lot of people assume that when they install toothed drivers (AKA Extro or Combo drivers)...that the driver is causing the vibration.
That may not be the case....

Here are some other things that cause vibration when switching tracks/drivers

1) Taller lug tracks may clear the tunnel when sled is warm dry ...but the paddles slap at any ice snow buildup after running because of less clearance or stiffer lugs, this is more pronounced with 3" tracks... Less prevalent on the RMK models with the front coolers.

2) Because of the decreased lug tip clearance there is actually "pulsation" from the paddles pumping air and air/snow mix out the front of the tunnel.

3) With a smaller driver... the internal drive "nubs" on the inside of the TRACK can actually rub on the front swing arm...Especially when you are not running correct factory track tension...these nubs "buzzing" on the tube make for vibration.

Loose tracks loose performance... don't let anyone tell you that because they can pull the track around on a lift easier with a loose track that this allows for more power to make it to the track... a sled on the stand and a sled on the snow are two different things.:face-icon-small-win

4) If both the extro teeth and internal drive teeth are not centered in the windows and between the nubs... you will get vibration there... BE carefull and TRIPLE check that the drivers sit center between the internal drive nubs and are not rubbing on the sides of the track windows.

Last edited:
R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
Ive seen a 3 inch walk back n forth on rails on the tail. Pulled the drive shaft made sure it was true....moved the drivers all around to adjust it. No matter what I did it would not stay straight. It sounded like cards in the spokes of a bicycle. Found out that the track wasnt cut straight and they took care of it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My mag side driver walked on my 3" track when I put it in last Feb.
Pressed it back into place and never had another problem.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Mine has a bit of a rattle/vibration right when it first moves

I just figured its the qd doing its break in thing, the manual said it would make a weird noise for a bit? (27 miles on stock 14 pro 80 163)

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i just installed a camo ex 2.5 (9174m) and 7t avid extro drivers i've had it out twice i notice pronounced vibration
when i go from a track into fresh powder ???
i'll be triple checking my driver spacing but i was very very careful when setting them up
any idea on the cause
thanks

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
You didn't specify whether you had center drives or clip drive drivers. If you have clip drive and your limiter straps are too loose, the end of the rails might be hitting the track clips. I'd also make sure that the hyfax is tapered back. l once cut off the rails and hyfax straight. There was a little corner of the hyfax that would hit the track clips.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I think that when u go from hard pack to soft powder, the powder is causing your front suspension to collapse a bit, therefore the track may get a little slack in it, letting the nubs inside the track to rub on the top of the front suspension. I had the same weirdness this weekend. Same sitch as you, careful to have straight drivers, put them on a lathe after pressing them on, measure 27x, test fit etc!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Clip drivers. I did tapper the end of the hifax
And cut the rails so that the anti stab wheels are out in front of the
Rail ends
I left the limiter strap in stock holes
Thanks for the help all

Premium Features