• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

EDIT: EFI LIVE tuners & ANYONE HAVE/USE THE EDGE EVO-HT TUNER?? Thoughts/impressions.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Local diesel shop quoted me $650 for the EFI Live Flash and NO HARDWARE (no EFI AutoCal unit) and they provide the DSP5 switch to install myself.

That seems very high for this kind of service to me.

EDIT: I just talked to Dustin at ATP Diesel ...Quoted me $400 for the service, including the switch PLUS I can have them tailor the flash to my specific needs... Just like I want above.

So the question is...

Does anyone have experience in having ATP (Adrenaline Truck Performance) set up their Duramax.... and what is your opinion of their Programming??

Can I expect one of their Tow/haul modes to produce significant turbo-braking to help me control the speed of the truck on downhills pulling a 10,000 lb load?

Thanks in advance for all of your input and comments.... much appreciated.

fastmnstealth

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2010
Big Lake, MN
Does anyone have experience in having ATP (Adrenaline Truck Performance) set up their Duramax.... and what is your opinion of their Programming??

Can I expect one of their Tow/haul modes to produce significant turbo-braking to help me control the speed of the truck on downhills pulling a 10,000 lb load?

I got my DSP5 tunes from duramaxtuner.com. The shop that did my conversion installed the switch and the tune. I'm VERY happy with setup.

1-stock
2-heavy tow > 5K (I believe)
3-light tow < 5K
4-econo sport (best fuel econ and performance)
5-best power

I run on 4 most of the time - great mileage 20+ hand calculated mixed driving. I've gotten 23-24 on hwy at 65mph.

Usually tow on 2 because of my heavy trailers. Took my 10K travel trailer to Yellowstone this summer and it did great. Came back to MN via Togwotee pass and truck performed great. I was VERY impressed with the engine/turbine braking. It worked very well. I have the edge Insight CTS and was able to monitor many parameters including turbine position.

I bought the EFI Live hardware, but have not used it for more then just logging. It has been a "just in case" purchase.

As you are researching, you will find that most recommend EFI Live tunes- there is a reason for this. You simply get the best all around performance (power, eco, towing, everything) when working with a capable shop.

Mark

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
ATP and others get about $300 for the DSP5 program alone for you to download and put onto your AutoCal... If they write good programs... I can see it may be worth the money at $400 when I don't need to own the hardware.

I could get these programs

1) Stock
2) Economy focused
3) Light Tow with much improved turbo braking/shifting
4) Heavy Tow with much improved turbo braking/shifting
5) "Fun" mode with good power/shifts to feel good... but not too much to need trans mods or worry about burning out things.

Last edited:

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Local diesel shop quoted me $650 for the EFI Live Flash and NO HARDWARE (no EFI AutoCal unit) and they provide the DSP5 switch to install myself.

That seems very high for this kind of service to me.

EDIT: I just talked to Dustin at ATP Diesel ...Quoted me $400 for the service, including the switch PLUS I can have them tailor the flash to my specific needs... Just like I want above.

So the question is...

Thanks in advance for all of your input and comments.... much appreciated.

I'm very partial to ATP only because they tuned my 09 duramax. Great customer service. My speedometer was way off when I got it tuned. Called up dustin and he sent me new tunes with the right programming for 35's.

Turbo brake works great. I've had 15,000 behind me and it definitely slows you down substantially.

ATP gets my vote. They tuned this pickup, and they'll tune everyone after it.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I'm very partial to ATP only because they tuned my 09 duramax. Great customer service. My speedometer was way off when I got it tuned. Called up dustin and he sent me new tunes with the right programming for 35's.

Turbo brake works great. I've had 15,000 behind me and it definitely slows you down substantially.

ATP gets my vote. They tuned this pickup, and they'll tune everyone after it.

Did they charge for the speedo calibration? I'm getting a 2007 LBZ and will be doing EFILive. I might start with the stock tires and then up the size later. I wasn't sure if I should wait for the new tires or if the cost to update EFILive is minimal enough to just do it from the get go.

tt m1000

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2010
Tioga, ND
Most tuners for efi live won't charge extra for changing tire size... The awesome thing about efi live is if some day u decide to upgrade turbo or transmission u can get upgrade tunes so everything works perfectly together.... I have been using efi live for many years and will never use anything else for a duramax!!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
Idaho rob (as he goes by on the diesel forums) is one of the best, I wouldn't hesitate to use his tunes. Be careful of any others who claim to be able to make miss Allison shift better with tuning though, she isn't like any other animal. Shifting clutch to clutch is a touchy thing to get right, and if the timing isn't right, you can have tieups (3 clutches applied at once, which momentarily locks the input/output shafts) which can cause allot of damage. My advice is leave the trans tuning alone, everything you want can be done with engine tuning alone. Stay out of the TCM.

Sent From God Knows Where...

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
Did they charge for the speedo calibration? I'm getting a 2007 LBZ and will be doing EFILive. I might start with the stock tires and then up the size later. I wasn't sure if I should wait for the new tires or if the cost to update EFILive is minimal enough to just do it from the get go.

No they didn't charge me for the new tunes.

C
Jul 30, 2011
Smithfield Ut
A thumbs up for ATP! Talk to Dustin, he is very knowledgable and communicates everything needed to Rob. They have tuned my 2014 truck, I wish I would've had them tune my old truck. I have 35" tires and can see 21 mpg hand calculated if I drive nice. I always leave it on the tow tune. There are three main tuners in the duramax world, ATP, Kory Willis, and Duramaxtuner. You can't go wrong with any of them, but ATP is my vote.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Mountainhorse, let me know your experience because I'm going to do EFILive on a truck that is coming in the next couple weeks.

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
With EFI live the tuner has full control over every aspect of fueling. Simply set the values for one of the tunes to inhibit fuel injection all together. A valet tune is also common, set a speed limiter to 25 mph or whatever.

Sent From God Knows Where...

Correct. I've never seen one that wont allow it to start. Just seen a valet tune where it will just start and idle. They cant move it or anything. Match all this with a key'd DSP5 switch, put it in a very secretive spot, and you got er dicked.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
ATP, PPEI (Kory Willis), Fleece Performance, Danville Performance, Bobo (Bob Olson) are all very good tuners, I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.

I was around for Nicks (duramax tuner) awesome aftermarket rods that bent and ruined several engines... It always left a bad taste in my mouth how it was all handled, which is why I don't recommend him...

With all that being said I tune my own truck... Efi Live is hands down the most powerful tuning tool ever produced, It should be illegal:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features