• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Vented turbo oil tanks

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Does anyone know why some of the turbo manufactures like boondockers vent their oil reservoirs and other don't like twisted or ovs ? My new tank is ready to be welded together and I'm not sure if I should be venting it.
Anyone have any input ?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
vented cap... not sure about them, but i have seen a handful kits with vented caps, just canter rember which ones.. just a thought.

your going to get a decent amount of heat related pressure changes, seems wise to me.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
vented cap... not sure about them, but i have seen a handful kits with vented caps, just canter rember which ones.. just a thought.

your going to get a decent amount of heat related pressure changes, seems wise to me.

I ordered this vented cap and bung from bungking.com (try saying that with a straight face :face-icon-small-ton)

http://www.bungking.com/tanks/filler-caps/filler-cap-and-bung-vented.html

It was exactly what I needed, I'm excited to have a tank that fits properly, does not puke oil everywhere and does not spill all the oil out if you have to roll your sled over.

J
Dec 3, 2007
I'm pretty sure they are all vented one way or another. There is a bit of turbo pressure that goes out the oil drain of the turbo. If you do not vent your oil tank, the turbo cannot drain its oil, and it forces oil into the compressor housing, and into your intake / engine.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Most use a rear differential vent in their tanks.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/60116/10002/-1

What is everyone doing for roll over situations so the oil doesn't back feed into the turbo? Baffled tanks or check valves? Better question... What check valve size do i need?

That's a cool idea, the OVS tank has no venting at all. if you are building your own tank and want to keep the oil from spilling back into the turbo all you need to do is run a piece of pipe approx. 1/2 way down into the the tank, and calculate an oil volume (slightly less than 50% of the total volume of the tank) that no matter what way you turn the tank the oil will not come back down the pipe. a 4" x 4" x 4" tank will do this with approx 16 oz.

Premium Features