• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls 660 opinions

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Need some input on Carls 660. Long term reliability, maintenance, hp/torque compared to stock 600. For those of you that "my sister is dating a guy that is friends with a redneck in Africa who's uncle has a dad that lives in Boise that has a red headed step child that works at polaris factory," please move to next thread!

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I own 2 Carl's 660s. Long term reliability/maintenance is terrific. I have 5000 mountain miles on one and put new pistons/rings in it at about 3500 just because.

Performance is comparable to a stock 800 of the same year... not even comparable to a stock 600.

I have had leaking base gasket issues on both of my 660s, but that was before they started using the metal base gaskets. Since they started using them I haven't had an issue.

sled_guy

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
I don't have a 660 but do I have a carls modded 600 iqr 144", ported, high comp head, remapped cdi. I have let numberous pro 800 owners ride it and all have been extremely impressed and couldn't believe its a 6. Drag racing (meaning less I know) it is right there with a stock pro 800 155". From everyone I've talked to the 660 is a fair bit stronger and just as reliable, if I had the spare cash I would do it in a heart beat.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta

I have Carl's 660 in a 2013 ProRMK. Night and day performance increase, will run with an 800 with no problems. I don't have a lot of miles on it (one season), but Chris recommended pistons/rings at 2000 miles, which is reasonable considering it is a modified motor. The best feature is the mapping is truly pull and go, no hesitation or tuning issues. They did the homework on this package, I would recommend it to anyone.

mpn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I have 2013 PRO with a Carl's 660 with case porting, pull and go, mapping is excellent, unbelievable throttle response. not even in the same league as a stock 600, this is the third one I have had one was a 685, never any issues

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've got one in my '10. I just figure that will be part of the purchase price when I go to a newer chassis. I didn't know if it made that much difference, but when it kicks in, the grin won't wipe off.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Any reliability issues? Stuck between the 600, 660, and 800 Pro's for the girlfriend. I think the 660 would be best for her, but don't wanna be wrenching on it all the time.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
FWIW...

Any reliability issues? Stuck between the 600, 660, and 800 Pro's for the girlfriend. I think the 660 would be best for her, but don't wanna be wrenching on it all the time.
Just to be clear, the 660 will NOT have the torque that an 800 has - it physically isn't possible with the shorter stroke. But it is very fast, and revs like a blender. Every chance I get, I'll ride my wife's 660 instead of the 800 we have, as it is just fun to ride, & builds confidence as the power delivery is smooth and very playful. I would not hesitate to build another, and likely will when she wants a new sled. At that time, her 660 will become a backup sled, & the 800 will be down the road.
I doubt reliability will be an issue. Carl's uses 700 Polaris pistons, the portwork and attention to detail on these bolt on kits are second to none. The ECM programming is spot on, too. I add 1/2oz of oil per gallon of fuel in the tank as per Carl's recommendations, and leave the oiler in the stock position. It has been a truly pull and go sled - only issue is you look goofy from sporting a permanent grin when riding it.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Everyone is different...

so would buying a 6er for $6400 and putting in $2500 into it for the kit be a better way to go then just buying a stock 800 for around $8k? or would you guys just recommend pulling the trigger on the 800?
It depends on your riding ability, etc. I've been mountain riding for over 20 years. An unskilled rider will find the torque of the 800 more forgiving, but then again, the smooth power of the 660 will be less intimidating to some, too. My wife's previous sled was an M8 with full SLP kit, 162" x 2.5 track (among other goodies) worked very well, but she likes the 660 a lot more due to weight difference. The power is there based on field testing - the 660 goes the same places her previous sled did, with a shorter track. Obviously, the 660 will require a rider that can think ahead and use throttle control to accomplish the same things that an 800 can... and a modified 800 Pro will out run it. We exclusively ride mountains - no trail riding, and for this purpose Carl's 660 shines. Her sled has a 2.5" CE track, Carl's clutching for her weight and our riding elevation, a C3 belt drive conversion, and some suspension work. Other then being a bit softly sprung for my 225lb carcass (when I have the opportunity to ride it) - the sled is very quick, and works well. It is on the same playing field as a stockish 800. If warranty is important to you, a new STOCK 800 is your best bet - just don't feel bad if a Carl's 660 outruns you in the backcountry... They work VERY well.

Sundance Kid

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2001
Black Hills
Does Carl's use a Power Commander or reflash the OEM box?
Been looking at the SLP kit but it kinda adds up pretty quick with the extras like the PCV.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Anyone running a can on a 660? Been informed the $800 SLP pipe isn't noticably worth $800 on a 660.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
In order...

Sundance Kid: Carl's flashes your ECM - no piggyback controller needed.
Sledhead79: I am using the HPS can on my wife's 660. Chris Kasel over at Carl's Cycle did not recommend the SLP pipe with their kit, although it is offered on the website. In testing they didn't find a significant improvement with it, but may offer a single pipe in the future if happy with results.
To all: If you haven't ridden one, you won't "get it". Really. Carl's has been building 660's since the earth cooled, and they work, period. You won't get an inflated dyno # or horsepower claims from them, but you will smile from ear to ear if you ride one. The one I built for my wife runs alongside (not ahead or behind) my backup 2013 M800 S/P Ltd (not ES) with a 162 x 2.6 track, clutching, and can. This same M800 will dust a stock Pro RMK 800 with a can, hauling my 225 lb carcass around. This alone tells me that the package works well. It also runs 62g belly buster weights @ 8000' and holds RPM (The 800 uses 10-62's, not sure if it will pull the belly busters, as they hit hard). It is a fun sled to ride due to it's low crank inertia and quick revving power, and the 600 motor is reliable as a hammer thus far.
This is just a different take on riding for about the same cost as a stock 800, with a much higher fun factor IMHO. Those interested in knowing more are welcome to PM me.

Kyle.laabs

Premium Member
Jul 17, 2011
Bismarck ND
Just for clarification

So if buy a kit for $1700 bucks you send in your cylinders for approval and your ECM to reflashed? No power commander correct? and from what I read carls no longer encourages putting SLP's pipe on? just run the stock on?
Obvisouly it needs a can, otherwise your not a mountain rider ;) and a clutching but sounds like a winner to me if I can find a sled for the right price.
Might be my new summer project...

Thanks in advance!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I believe you need to send your power valves in as well so they can shorten them to match. They reprogram your ECM and use your cylinders for cores.

Sounds easy to me.

Premium Features