• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil injection ratio on '14 600 at 56:1

D
I have been keeping track of the oil use on my 7 rides and 150 miles on the new 600 RMK. It works out to 56:1 the best I could measure. The miles were about half road riding and half tree boondocking...Has anyone else been keeping track? Still trying to decide if I should turn up the oil pump or add oil to the tank??

O
Dec 6, 2007
I added oil to my tank until I got around to turning up the oiler 3 turns. Mine is a '13 and 3 turns seems to have gotten me to about 27:1. I only have two rides and about 60 miles so far. Doesn't idle quite as cleanly hanging at 1500-1600 until you blip the throttle. Not bad though. I might come back half a turn shooting for 32:1

Seems like mine probably started around 50-60:1 That still strikes me as a little high for a sled that is run in the mountains.

2Quickrides

Lifetime Membership
Nov 11, 2012
Edmonton
Both of my 14's are the same, 50-60:1. Been mixing so far, but will be turning both up aiming for 30-40:1.

On a side note, notice how all of the sled reviews now talk about how little oil these new sleds use like it's a good thing?...........umm, it's still a 2 stroke that uses that oil to lube the engine right?:crazy:

D
I think I'm going to take a chance and run with the factory settings, at least till the warranty expires. Has anyone seen a crank bearing or piston issue on these newer 600's....I definitely like way it's running compared to my '07 600 !!

S
Oct 16, 2008
13' 600, 3 turns to get to around 40-1 which seems ok to me. Scary how lean it must have been. No way it would have lived a long life. It actually is running stronger now. First two rides since, it is pulling harder no doubt about
it.

mud99

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2009
Truckee, CA
IMO it's fine. 32:1 is old school premix thinking, these sleds have oil being injected on all the necessary parts, they simply don't need as much ratio wise.

Even modern 2 stroke premix dirt bikes are running 40-60:1 with no issue.

32:1 premix is less lubrication than 90:1 oil injection, most of the oil in premix gets burnt.

Oil isn't cheap either, so burning less of it certainly saves you a little bit of money.

D
IMO it's fine. 32:1 is old school premix thinking, these sleds have oil being injected on all the necessary parts, they simply don't need as much ratio wise.

Even modern 2 stroke premix dirt bikes are running 40-60:1 with no issue.

32:1 premix is less lubrication than 90:1 oil injection, most of the oil in premix gets burnt.

Oil isn't cheap either, so burning less of it certainly saves you a little bit of money.

I agree and also saves the hassle of cleaning the exhaust valves as often (older chassis were a lot easier job)

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
See i run premix only on various sleds/bikes/etc jet accordingly but mix it 32:1 or richer. sleds run much stronger. plenty of data to support it. and honestly. if your jetted right and your pipe is properly sealed, doesnt leave any pipe "spoog" in the exhaust or on the valves. if your jetted/mapped fat and you run it mixed at any ratioit loads up on everything and is nasty.

yet to lose a motor due to over oiling the other way is another story... a few $$ per season running safe on oil is a lot more fun then redoing cylinders and pistons as well.

O
Dec 6, 2007
IMO

In your opinion? Or can you actually verify this because it sounds like 100% BS.

FYI, all of the injected oil burns as well.... On most 2-strokes, other than the Polaris, the fuel/oil mix passes through the crankcase to lube the bearing before it transfers into the cylinders to "get burnt" as you put it. That is 2-stroke 101.

Last edited:
F

Flying Dutchman

Dec 14, 2007
Red Deer
FWIW, my '13 600 was set at about 67/1 when new. I adjusted it after the first ride. Did not pay attention to the amount of turns on the screw, but used the oil pump arm as reference. Looking at the pump from the exhaust side, at idle the factory scribe mark was at the 3 oclock position. I adjusted to the 2 o'clock position and it worked out to 40/1.
I use the POO gold oil. Inspected exh valves after 1000 miles and put them right back in, since they were very clean. Only smokes at the initial cold start. Runs excellent.

D
Full throttle oil ratio

Just an update to what I'm seeing as far as the factory settings for the oil injection ratio on 600 RMK.. Now that the snowpack has stabilized and it is safer to do some serious climbing (4000 vertical in about 4 miles travelled) I was happy to see the ratio calculated to 37:1 ....So I think it is safe to say that when the throttle is pinned the oil pump is putting out enough oil.

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
I've got two rides on a new Pro 800 and i've seen the same result. First ride was a lot of stop and go (QD break in) then a mix of everything but not much WOT at all. Got home and did the calcs and was shocked at about 58-60:1 ratio.
Did a lot of reading and explanations then went on ride #2. this time i rode it like i stole it. Much more WOT and a lot of agressive boondocking mixed with a little trail riding. Got it home, did the math...43:1.
So yes, it gets a lot more oile when needed and I think there is a lot of over reacting.
i might turn mine up a bit but I would be happy with an average 40:1 ish. It is and average from idle to WOT all day long.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I saw a new '14 800 Pro RMK at the dealer yesterday, and it had a tag on the fuel cap that said to add 1 quart of engine oil to the 1st tank of gas for break in. I had to look at it twice, as that seemed like a lot of oil. 2 things are apparent: 1. These sleds are obviously set on the lean side of oil useage. 2. Adding oil to the tank is a good thing, even after break in?

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
The manual states 40:1 in the first tank for break in. 11.5 gallons x 128 oz / 32 = 46. So that would be 46:1 on a full tank. Sounds about right.
I have a friend that has a '12 Pro and he said after the first couple of rides on his he noticed a substantial increase in oil consumption. Not sure if it was some kind of break in thing or simply the way he was riding it after the first ride or two. Regardless, I see the same thing. I want to get one more good/hard ride on it before I start turning the oil up. Until then I plan on going about 100:1 in the tank for a little piece of mind.

Here's my thought. these modern two strokes' injection systems are far removed from the old pre-mix required engines of the past. I will not claim to be an expert here, just giving an opinion.
With this oil injection system the oil is injected directly where it is needed the most, the bottom end, bearings, etc. In the past the oil was delivered by "fogging" the bottom end mixed with fuel being delivered throught the case. The old method to me seems very inefficient where current technology is more precise. So why would it not take less product to perform the same job?

When you paint your house, do you stand back and through a bucket of paint at a wall, or do you apply it as needed.....hmmmmm?

I would really like to hear from someone that really, truly, understands the entire fuel/oil delivery of these engines.

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
I know one thing for sure. Too much oil isn't going to hurt anything. If you guys can justify running them right on the edge of not enough good for you and keep it under warranty.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I saw a new '14 800 Pro RMK at the dealer yesterday, and it had a tag on the fuel cap that said to add 1 quart of engine oil to the 1st tank of gas for break in. I had to look at it twice, as that seemed like a lot of oil. 2 things are apparent: 1. These sleds are obviously set on the lean side of oil useage. 2. Adding oil to the tank is a good thing, even after break in?

Quart in the first tank is OEM insurance in case there is an oil bubble in the line. After the first 7 or 8 gals, big bubbles should be out of the line. Many dealers have been doing this since everyone besides Yamaha offered oil injection. You are right, they are balancing on the edge of enough lube and EPA non-compliance. It's hard to make a coherent argument that states some oil in the gas tank after breakin, like 100:1, is a bad thing in a SDI motor. A few have tried. If it's just a waste of oil, or abit more smoke for those behind, so be it.

Jan 27, 2009
Everyone should be venting their oil tanks before they start turning up the pump, the tank will have a harder time to keep up, and will vacuum lock even faster...

Most people are seeing safer ratios just by doing so! I know I did!! and if your still not happy then go for it!

K
Feb 8, 2005
Yakima, Wa
Everyone should be venting their oil tanks before they start turning up the pump, the tank will have a harder time to keep up, and will vacuum lock even faster...

Most people are seeing safer ratios just by doing so! I know I did!! and if your still not happy then go for it!

Did you modify the cap or add an additional vent?
Thanks

Premium Features