• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil injection ratio on '14 600 at 56:1

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
OIL RATIO

2013 PRO-R 800
Oil adjustment screw turned in approx 7 1/2 turns to where it's flush with top of the jam nut, approx 53:1 ratio.
over 2,500 miles on it, 2nd belt, original spark plugs, 125 p.s.i. compression

2012 600 136" switchback
same on adjustment screw, approx 56:1

Both checked over a 500 mile trip, pretty hard on the flipper

Interestingly, BOTH sleds got around 10.75-11 M.P.G., nearly equal at gas fill-ups

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
IMO... Keeping it Simple

Other than a little more oil consumption... I see ZERO Drawbacks to turning up the oil pump.

Some have argued that turning up the oil pump on the DC-800CFi engine may lower the performance... I'd yet to see any argument to that point that holds water. Just not possible to turn up THIS pump with the screw all the way up.

Turning up the pump will lube not only the top end, like adding oil to the gas (premix)...it increases lube to the bearings and the lower end of the skirts.

When turned up all the way... I've NOT seen a report of running more than 38:1.

So.... Why NOT turn it up??

Last edited:
D
Summer storage?

MH, the main reason I have not turned up the oiler is because of my allergies. The smoke from my '07 600 was brutal, and since the '14 was under warranty I figured i would find out what the ratio was in all snow conditions. Yesterday I had the hood off looking at how I was going to fog spray the engine when the season was over. These new chassis look like a real p.i.t.a. to remove the airbox to fog!! I decided I will not be fogging this engine (will be the first time in the 30 years that I have been putting sleds to bed for the summer). So I turned the oiler up 2 1/4 turns while the hood was off. I think I will also pour a bit in the tank on the last ride and then with the front end raised pour some oil in each cylinder. Any thoughts about this plan as opposed to the proper fog spraying?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
MH, the main reason I have not turned up the oiler is because of my allergies. The smoke from my '07 600 was brutal, and since the '14 was under warranty I figured i would find out what the ratio was in all snow conditions. Yesterday I had the hood off looking at how I was going to fog spray the engine when the season was over. These new chassis look like a real p.i.t.a. to remove the airbox to fog!! I decided I will not be fogging this engine (will be the first time in the 30 years that I have been putting sleds to bed for the summer). So I turned the oiler up 2 1/4 turns while the hood was off. I think I will also pour a bit in the tank on the last ride and then with the front end raised pour some oil in each cylinder. Any thoughts about this plan as opposed to the proper fog spraying?

If you're not gonna fog, you can use a wire, like a coathanger, with a hook on the end, reach in from the mag side, gently pull the oil pump arm full open with the sled idling, to dump more oil on the bottom for storage. Practice with sled off. You'll know when it's enough. Choice of syn, non-syn is totally yours. Spray fogging oil down plug holes if you'd like after shutdown. FWIW.

I have a doo etec - they have a 'summarization' routine that does the same thing with oil, shuts itself down afterwards, pretty smart. Maybe the 800HO will have one, too.

Poos can be fogged, pulling the box upper half isn't that bad, and if you're changing a fuel filter, you're more than half way there, anyways. Some have drilled holes in the lower box for future fogging ease. Either is better than nothing.

Last edited:

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
If you're not gonna fog, you can use a wire, like a coathanger, with a hook on the end, reach in from the mag side, gently pull the oil pump arm full open with the sled idling, to dump more oil on the bottom for storage. Practice with sled off. You'll know when it's enough. Choice of syn, non-syn is totally yours. Spray fogging oil down plug holes if you'd like after shutdown. FWIW.

I have a doo etec - they have a 'summarization' routine that does the same thing with oil, shuts itself down afterwards, pretty smart. Maybe the 800HO will have one, too.

Poos can be fogged, pulling the box upper half isn't that bad, and if you're changing a fuel filter, you're more than half way there, anyways. Some have drilled holes in the lower box for future fogging ease. Either is better than nothing.

By "you'll know when its enough," do you mean when the smokes so thick you can't see the door thats ten feet away? I wired my oil pump full open and fired up sled. Let it idle about five minutes till it was around 115 degrees. Whacked throttle on n off periodically til temp reached 129 then shut it down. Sound good? Put an ounce of Legend down each plug hole maybe?
redy3e2u.jpg

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
du7ury4y.jpg

Thats what spark plug looked like after that process :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
When you see the helicopter circling, you know it's enough. I can smell the 2 stroke from the picture.

I use fogging oil down the plug holes myself, liberally spray, roll the crank over slowly after, don't let the straw get tangled up during, of course. If 2 stroke oil, use mineral like Legend, I agree. JMHO.

Premium Features