• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 RMK 800 idle problem

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I have a 2011 rmk 800 with 3400 miles on it. It has the BMP duribility kit in it and it doesnt seem to like to idle. Is there an adjustment that can be made to get the idle up? Or something common that causes this?

B
Jan 9, 2013
I have a 2011 rmk 800 with 3400 miles on it. It has the BMP duribility kit in it and it doesnt seem to like to idle. Is there an adjustment that can be made to get the idle up? Or something common that causes this?

Does it do this all the time, or just when warm? The TPS is a common culprit of not wanting to idle or a bog. It can be adjusted but requires a special tool or a homemade one.

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
Just had same problem, big crack on the Mag side and slight one on the PTO. Couldn't not get it started without someone holding the throttle

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Well I hope its not that the top end only has 500mi on it it starts fine till its warmed up then its like the idle is so low that it wont stay running only sometimes tho. The gauge flickers like tge idle is to low to power the gauge.

Race

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Trump, AK.
I should clarify that it was my reeds I was talking about and not the cylinders. Once I got the machine started I had to feather the throttle or the RPM would go down to the point the gauge would flicker on and off. It was because of the cracks in the reeds. Replaced the reeds and all is well.

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
I should clarify that it was my reeds I was talking about and not the cylinders. Once I got the machine started I had to feather the throttle or the RPM would go down to the point the gauge would flicker on and off. It was because of the cracks in the reeds. Replaced the reeds and all is well.

lol thanks for clearing that up how hard is it to get to the reeds

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
lol thanks for clearing that up how hard is it to get to the reeds

Gotta remove the secondary, oil rack, air box etc. It's not that tough, just time consuming

Did you try adjusting the throttle cable adjustment by your handle bars? It's the screw deal under the rubber boot

If you havn't changed your reeds, it could be them or it could be your tps.

These pros have MASSIVE issues with the tps and reeds. I've replaced my reeds, and tps and now it idles perfectly but I still have a top end bog I'm chasing

Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Another problem that it has been having is sometimes the sled will not wanna start you will have to pull and pull and pull. Then sometimes if a little throttle is given it will fire up but you will have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Also i remember a few times this year it would loose power almost like it was running on 1 cylinder but after a few seconds of doing this it would snap out of it and run perfectly fine. Could this also be reeds? Or TPS? Anything else?

Last edited:
Y

yzviper366

Aug 15, 2012
Bismarck, ND
Another problem that it has been having is sometimes the sled will not wanna start you will have to pull and pull and pull. Then sometimes if a little throttle is given it will fire up but you will have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Also i remember a few times this year it would loose power almost like it was running on 1 cylinder but after a few seconds of doing this it would snap out of it and run perfectly fine. Could this also be reeds? Or TPS? Anything else?

Advice

B
Jan 9, 2013
Mine was having these exact symptoms. Adjusting the TPS turned out to fix the issue for now...they tend to get way out of spec after you beat on the sled for a while.

Premium Features