• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blown Assault 2011 - a couple questions

Assault-7c

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2012
Lake Villa, IL
Well, finally got the Assault tore down yesterday. Mag side rod bearing went but everything else looks good. No cylinder, piston, case damage. Guess I got lucky. Definitely can tell the mag side rod got hot and can see some of that on the case. All the other crank bearings seemed to be in good shape.

My question is why did it go? When we cracked the case, there was a noticeable difference in the amount of oil on the mag side vs the pto. Only thing I saw was 2 air bubbles in the oil line that went to the mag side. All the other oil lines were bubble free. Do you guys think this could have caused the mag side to starve for oil? You hear off vapor lock issues but I'll be honest, not sure really how it works. The air bubbles were in the middle of the hose so there was oil on both sides of the air bubble. Thoughts?

Also, while I got this completely torn down, any other things I should be inspecting / replacing. I just put a new RK TEK topend on it in the fall and replaced the fuel filter at that time. I heard guys talking about reeds falling apart but mine looked really good. Is there a way to check them? I don't want to just replace parts just because. But if I should, I'm ok with putting new ones in. Don't really want to be tearing this down again.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

B
Mar 1, 2009
Have you vented your oil tank?? Exact same thing happened to me on my 11 assault,TWICE, when tank starves pump for oil it seems mag side is affected first,probably because it feeds off of top of pump and pto side has two lines off of pump..Damn 10 dollar cap takes out a 4000 dollar motor!!!

ProRMK24

Lifetime Membership
Feb 6, 2014
Iowa
Had rod bearings go out on two 2011's this year but they both took a cylinder.

Assault-7c

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2012
Lake Villa, IL
No, I did not have the oil tank vented. I just started reading about that in the last couple of months. I will be doing that on both sleds (Assault and Pro) for next year.

And I will be turning up the oil pump as well And will be replacing the small section of hose that goes from the Oil pump to the mag side. Not sure why there are air bubbles in that section and only that section. Maybe it has a pin hole or something. Cheap insurance I guess.

Premium Features