• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Photos of 07/08 RMK Cooling System

M
Jan 8, 2008
Can some of you guys do me a huge favor and post some under hood pics of cooling system plumbing on a 600, 700 or 800 155? I'm trying to replumb my '06 Switcher to be more efficient with the rad removed and can't see everything that I need to from the microfiche. Thanks a ton!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you run the thermostat from the 2008 163" 800 you can plug off the bypass loop which runs to the radiator. This thermostat has a built in bypass.

But I think that was hashed over before?

What do you need to see to do this?

The problem with doing this on your swicher is that the front tunnel cooler is different and provides a path for the coolant to the running board coolers. The 07's and 08's run the front cooler as the bypass, but both hoses go in behind the pull start housing (the 06 goes IN behind the pullstart housing and OUT under the secondary clutch... to the PTO side running board cooler)

The challenge to running the 07/08 layout on your 2006 switch would be to connect the outlet of the thermo to the PTO side running board cooler and hooking up the PTO side outlet of the 2006 front-tunnel cooler to the bypass on the bottom side of the head.

A lot of work IMO compared to using the 163” model thermostat and plugging the bottle and head connection.

Leave the rest of the system stock and just plug off the bypass while using the new thermostat.

Well, I just got the word back from a contact at Polaris Factory...

Looks like the different thermostat is the best bet to do the radiator/cooler delete on the 600's and the 700's in 2006 thru 2008 small blocks.

Plug off the bypass line on the head under the thermostat housing and install the 2008 163" thermostat # 7052452, for the coolest running of these sleds without damage to the pump or seals. This will also eliminate quite a bit of heavy plumbing with coolant in it and clean up the underhood appearance a bit. Probably leave the "inspection" hatch off of the radiator accesss to allow any of the air that might make it thru into the engine bay where it might do some good.

As a note to those who dont speak "bypass"... This is the line that lets enough coolant flow thru the motor to keep the pump and other seals from blowing out and allow a bit of circulation inside of the motor once the thermostat closes.

plug.jpg

2007 Dragon cooling: note the side by side inlet/out for the front-tunnel cooler.
2007DRAGONCOOLINGSYSTEM.jpg

2006 Switch cooling system... note the front-tunnel cooler in/out locations
6642_9745b07.gif

Last edited:
M
Jan 8, 2008
Wow, wonderful information, thank you so much sir! Got to get rid of this stock by-pass loop with no front Rad, as I can hardly ride on any hardpack on semi warm days without hittin 170+. After towing a renegade for 1/2 mile slowly through the woods last week, I was over 195; too much short circuiting is happening with her as she is. Forutnately we've got lots of new powder this weekend!

I may put a Pro-X bottle in her, which would save 1 plug connection, thanks again!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
You are welcome.

The 2008 dragon 163 bottles will bolt right in and have the hoses in the right place... no plugging of the bottle needed. About $30.

The 2008 163" thermostat # 7052452 is a special order part at all of the dealers but should only take a couple of days to get. This is the correct part number.

All of the dealers Dont have it in THEIR parts fiche... but if they go online with Polairis, the part # comes up.... Polaris has not updated the dealer Fiches yet to include this part number... I talked with Brian in the Tri City parts dept and they can have them in 2days. The same goes for the 163" coolant tank.

M
Jan 8, 2008
Just ordered the 163 T-stat from our local dealer. Found the part number online, but it wasn't in there system, so he had to do a little looking thru Poo's database, but found it and its in the warehouse ready to ship. This should be the deal for those of us with '06's that ditch the Rad. Thanks again!

Throttle-Up

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Lethbridge Alberta
www.leekseeker.com
You are welcome.

The 2008 dragon 163 bottles will bolt right in and have the hoses in the right place... no plugging of the bottle needed. About $30.

The 2008 163" thermostat # 7052452 is a special order part at all of the dealers but should only take a couple of days to get. This is the correct part number.

All of the dealers Dont have it in THEIR parts fiche... but if they go online with Polairis, the part # comes up.... Polaris has not updated the dealer Fiches yet to include this part number... I talked with Brian in the Tri City parts dept and they can have them in 2days. The same goes for the 163" coolant tank.

What should the 08 800 163 run for temp?

tjs529

Lifetime Membership
Feb 11, 2008
Minnesota
do they make a plug for the bypass or do you have to plug the hose? I would like to see one all complete I am working on removing it right now!

C

Champ

Jan 15, 2008
I have the same 06 Switchback with almost the same level of engine modification except I am running a 151 x 2.4 track. I installed the thermostat from the older EDGEs where the bypass circuit gets closed down as the thermo pellet opens the main outlet. The PN for this part is 7052267. My radiator circuit is cut and a 90 degree elbow fitting routes the bypass circuit back to the bottle when the stat is closed. As she heats up the bypass circuit slowly shuts down. I feel it is a more gradual method for balancing the coolant flow.

The only problems I have is when I am on long stretches of groomed trails with harddpack snow, but this is more of a function of the track and paddle height than the cooling system layout. Additionally, I run my scratchers almost all of the time on the trails and the temp. literally sits right at the thermo. opening temperature.

If I keep the sled this year, I was going to install the front tunnel cooler from the 2008 IQ 600/700, PN 2520729. This bottom of this cooler is the same as the Switchback's in that coolant goes in and goes out to the running board perimeter coolers. The top of the cooler would serve as the bypass circuit.

S
Apr 13, 2022
Manitoba
CF050657-1575-4269-A1E5-D7685530597C.png

Hate to bring up an old thread I cannot see that last picture.
And I can’t find anything for the re plumb on 07 switchback 600 for a complete series loop.
Anyone have any info for me. Thanks

Premium Features