• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

snowys snow conditions

99x

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Was wondering how the snow is in the snowys? Looking at 11hr drive is it worth it? Thanks

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
worth it is relative. Not much new snow in a while and some warm temps. Some small new accumulations possible. Need a good 6-12" at least to really improve things. Driving an hour or so, it's worth it for me. Driving 11 hrs, I'd probably be disappointed. But it is all relative.

It is fun climbing and putzing around everywhere though.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
^^ very true, its all a matter of preference.

I have friends that don't ride unless it's bumper deep... I ride as much as I can whenever I can. Hero snow makes it easy to explore new zones with less risk, than the "good" days + it's fun some times to blast up everything and not worry about getting stuck.

There is plenty of coverage on the range, & if your not a snow snob. Do it, Explore and have fun !

Also this time of year storms can drop 2ft with an inch forecast. So you might get lucky.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Starting this weekend the whole west is going to head into a major snow pattern. Like record proportions....

Some areas in california are forecasted for up to 12" swe aka about 100" of snow on the 10 day forecast.

A lot of colorado at this time has forecasted snow water equivalents in the 3-4" range.

I bet by this following weekend (march 12), everything west of Denver is going to be handlebars deep.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

H

HRM81312

Jan 1, 2015
I'm giving it the same thought. Where you coming from?

I am heading out from Omaha later this afternoon. Staying in Laramie and heading up to Green Rock Friday/Saturday. Both my riding partners have bailed on me due to poor conditions but I am still going to be heading out. Hit me up if you want someone ride with.

^^ very true, its all a matter of preference.

I have friends that don't ride unless it's bumper deep... I ride as much as I can whenever I can. Hero snow makes it easy to explore new zones with less risk, than the "good" days + it's fun some times to blast up everything and not worry about getting stuck.

There is plenty of coverage on the range, & if your not a snow snob. Do it, Explore and have fun !

Also this time of year storms can drop 2ft with an inch forecast. So you might get lucky.

Is the snow rock hard? or can you still set an edge and have some fun i the trees?
As long as the snow isnt rock hard ill drive 20 hours to ride out west

Last edited:
W
Feb 27, 2016
Lanesboro MN
Snowys

I've been to the snowys several times. The last 3 we stayed at Albany lodge. Hardly any snow at the lodge, seemed pretty grim the 1 day. Got up the second day to 6" new snow at the lodge and 2 to 3 Ft on the mountain ! rode the trees all day hopping from meadow to meadow. Never saw another sled or crossed a track until we were back on the trail to head back. The mandatory trail ride sucks, get off the trail 1000 ft or so and enjoy.
face-icon-small-cool.gif

C
Apr 9, 2014
Starting this weekend the whole west is going to head into a major snow pattern. Like record proportions....

Some areas in california are forecasted for up to 12" swe aka about 100" of snow on the 10 day forecast.

A lot of colorado at this time has forecasted snow water equivalents in the 3-4" range.

I bet by this following weekend (march 12), everything west of Denver is going to be handlebars deep.

I hope this is true, I've been watching that system build and praying it dumps on the snowy range. Our riding crew is heading out next Wednesday from Minnesota and South Dakota. We switched our trip from Big Horns to riding in the Snowy Range since they at least have a good snow pack with some possible snow in the future.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Is the snow rock hard? or can you still set an edge and have some fun i the trees?
As long as the snow isnt rock hard ill drive 20 hours to ride out west

It wasn't last weekend and I don't imagine it rock hard now. In fact looking at the snotels it appears a few inches have fallen in the past three days.

Last Sunday I went up to the gate on the west side to play with my clutching, and it was pretty soft everywhere. The snow on the north east facing slopes of South Brush Creek was pretty decent actually.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I hope this is true, I've been watching that system build and praying it dumps on the snowy range. Our riding crew is heading out next Wednesday from Minnesota and South Dakota. We switched our trip from Big Horns to riding in the Snowy Range since they at least have a good snow pack with some possible snow in the future.

if you go to opensnow.com and read the forecast from the Utah/california guy, it looks pretty dang good. granted they are mostly talking about utah and california, but the system(s) are going to be so big that im pretty sure a good chunk of it is gonna make it further inland. you can see it on the maps.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
uploadfromtaptalk1457033572208.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457033580439.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457033586303.jpg

A few screenshots from yesterday.... It looks like they have backed off a bit now on today's forecast

S
Mar 15, 2014
Iowa
I am heading out from Omaha later this afternoon. Staying in Laramie and heading up to Green Rock Friday/Saturday. Both my riding partners have bailed on me due to poor conditions but I am still going to be heading out. Hit me up if you want someone ride with.
I can't this weekend. The first time I'll be able to is in two weeks. I need to be going with some others that are willing to teach and show around. I'm pretty damn green still and don't have a group to join yet.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We may be taking a trip west the 17-21 of March if decent snow anywhere I've got a 4 place trailer and 3 people so far

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
We are still undecided where we are going but would go anywhere from co to mt if there has been recent snow

Premium Features