• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short Track Snowies

D

digger18

Feb 22, 2009
Otsego MN
So have a cousin who wants to come out with us the end of March to the Snowies. All he has is a zr600 121 and has 1.25 lugs. Will it work with the snow conditions as it looks like it will be hero snow? Lol. He wants to come out and try it before buying one but also doesn't want to rent one. The other 2 guys in the group are newbies so won't be to extreme. And if for some reason they would get dumped on he would rent one.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
There would have been no issues the last several days, but a lot can change by the end of march. Guess it all depends how far off trail everyone wants to go. I'd just keep checking the conditions as the trip gets closer.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
He will have a blast with that sled, My first time in the snowies was with the same sled and track, Make sure he has the right weights in and I would change out the primary and sec spring with new ones. Going up hill through the trees he will struggle to keep up with a long track. Sounds like you will be really close to the trail with your group so I believe he will do just fine. Also the first time I was in the snowies with my 600 it snowed 3 ft over night, holding throttle standing where the sled was totally engulfed in snow. I was ok until I tried to go up hill.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
That old 600 is gonna feel like a 340 at 10,000ft. If its cold and hardpack it wont matter, any amount of fresh and its gonna suck, or hard pack and a warm day will suck just as bad in the soft, heavy snow.

I think its a waste of a trip to take a sled like that to the mountains. If the rest of the group is on real mnt sleds and the snow is even marginal your going to get real tired digging out that sled. Eric

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
If it's his first time to the mountains he will have a lot of fun not matter what the snow it like. Would it be more fun on the nicest newest iron.... yes.... but it's his first time, let him enjoy it.

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
He's fine. You can play near the trails in the Snowies all day, hit a bunch of different places and have a blast. My 9 year old follows us around on his 340 cc, 136x1" and has a huge smile every time his helmet comes off. If you are planning on getting way back in then obviously his sled will be an issue, but if the idea is to have some fun in some awesome country he'll be fine.

snoluver

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2007
Not sure why people think you need the biggest badest mountain sled to have fun. I could take a snow scoot up there and have fun all day long. Just have to adjust your riding style for the situation. Don't get pissy with him when he gets stuck. Help him dig out and move on. Don't try to push him into places he can't/shouldn't go. Let him have fun and adjust your expectations so that you have fun also. Show him what its all about and what CAN be done with the right equipment. He will be searching craigslist all the way home and you will have a new mountain riding partner.

Premium Features