• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new ride questions

D
Nov 30, 2007
I am looking at a few different options for this winter and i am looking for honest opinions. I am looking at 2 different brands, hopefully get a new holdover (13,14) and depending on price possibly a 15, thinking a 155 if this is the brand i go with, and a 800, unsure if i would go the pro or just RMK. Are any of these 3 years better than the other? I have read of the engine issues with these and it worries me a bit,. Are they as bad as i have read? Most people don't go onto a site and post how great things are going, it is way easier to find bad reports on the net than it is to find good reports. Whats the HP of these 800s? I am coming off an 08 Apex MTX, so the weight savings will obviously be huge, but the torque of an apex is addicting. Thanks for any overall info you can provide.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
14 pro or higher. There should be lots of them available, some in very nice shape, at decent prices with guys jumping to the Axys, and you avoid the known issues with the 13 pro (glued arms, driveshaft, QD), and the 14s and up have improved cylinder skirts and better mapping. I would not buy anything with more than 1000 miles.

14 or 15 XM summit 8, X or SP, would be a solid alternative. It will feel like it has more torque, closer to your yam. Rider position can be quirky, and the pro is a better balanced chassis, once you learn it. Fit and finish on the XM is way ahead of the pro ride. Assuming you aren't going to be riding them before you buy. Both are really great sleds OOB, gas and go. I don't see any reason to even consider a M, great motor, but the mods list to get it to work well is long, and the future resale will crush you. FWIW. Good luck.

Last edited:
D
Nov 30, 2007
I have ridden the doos and cant stand them, feels like im humping a football.i am up in canada so our prices are a bit more than the states, but holdover i mean a new sled that didnt sell, i dont want to buy used. Never ridden a new poo yet, but they have caught my eye, im just worried about known engine issues amd such. What os the hp rating on them, arentthey aboit 140 ish? Whats the difference between an RMK and an assult?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Whats the difference between an RMK and an assult?

RMK Assault vs. Pro - Assault has wide front end, clicker shocks, no stab bar, steel a-arms, track (comp track, but a 5.1 could be optioned), steel driveshaft, chaincase (no belt), different rails, front skid mounting. Same motor, clutching.

RMK vs. Pro - RMK has chaincase, steel driveshaft, front cooler, steel a-arms, non-rebuildable shocks, different bars - master cylinder - switchgear, non-vented brake rotor, no carbon overstructure, alum rear bumper, single color seat cover, no holes in snow flap. Same motor, clutching, track, skid (except for shocks).

In a nutshell...

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
Personally I think the Poo motor gets a bad rap. My dealer sells both Doo and Poo and his head mechanic says they get bigger problems with the Doo motor than the Poo. He referred to the Doo motor as a grenade waiting to happen. Just his 2 cents but he works on them every day not me.

D
Nov 30, 2007
And that sir is exactly what i am wondering, are the poos as bad as i read about or are the issues overblown, i know nothing is perfect as it seems they use us as their R and D department. I also know the poo 800 has the least hp in the class, is it really noticable?

C
Dec 24, 2014
I had all three on a ride last spring, my '14 Pro, my buddies new '15 Doo and the '16 Cat demo. Power wise, to me the Doo feels the weakest stock, the Cat the best and the Pro in the middle. They all put up the same hi-marks, the Pro really is not lacking for power to the snow.

I can't ride the Doo either which is making my choice difficult because they are the best local dealer. My local Poo dealer could not fix my sled after 12 tries and Polaris customer service is possibly the WORST I have ever experienced from ANY company. The Cat is a good possibility for me. It is the heaviest but probably the most durable. I hate the fat chick bodywork on it, it is low and wide compared to the others. You can get the weight off with a couple mods and the new front suspension geometry really does make a huge difference. It holds a line in the trees almost as well as the Pro, which for me is still the gold standard.

Are the motor issues real? Absolutely they are. Are they much better than they were? Yes. I bought a holdover '13 that was a fun problem free sled. My '14 has the same fun factor but developed a minor issue that may finally be sorted. I think a top end before 2000 miles and you should get 4000 from the motor, about par for the course.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They all perform similar.
The poo handling is always there. The motors are overachievers with proper tolerances.
I happen to have a great poo dealer 5 minutes from my house.
And 4 more ok dealers within an hour drive.
Only one doo dealer worth using.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
So far, there has been no such thing as a gas-n-go M800, with zero mods out of the box. Good riders can do that with a Pro (and Axys, I'm sure) or XM Summit now, and be really happy. With the chubby kitty, you have had to plow lots of benjamins into her just to ride her well. In typical AC fashion, they finally sort it out just before they change to a new model. Which is my second point - besides the highest cost entry point and the lowest resale, the current M chassis's value will get crushed even more when they unveil the next M, which has to be very soon. But the fifth iteration 16 M might actually be what everyone thought they were getting with a 12.

The Viper is the real fat chick. The day just seems longer, but is actually much shorter, on a Vipe. What an ad concept.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Coming off an Apex, the Pro will feel like a toy. You will start out over riding it for sure, everybody does. Then you will be AMAZED at where it will take you. 4 stroke torque or 2 stroke power.... I will take the MUCH lighter more responsive 2 stroke for my snow riding, no contest.

m7extreme

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Go with pro

I owned a 12,14 and now a 16 pro. Not a complaint or a problem with any of them. That being said I wouldn't be scared of the liberty motor. I rode a a t3 last year it was nice sled as well(good power). Just not quite the best all around sled in my opinion. The slight lack of power in the poo is made up for with handling and skid setup. A 14-15 carryover pro will serve you very well

D
Nov 30, 2007
I have no doubt that whatever i choose, it will be a much easier sled to handle. That being said i dont have an issue (besides the weight) handling my Apex. With these comments i have started leaning away from my original choice, and towards a poo now. But i still have to sell the apex, or get a decent trade value,and they are a tough sell.

D
Nov 30, 2007
don't over look the 16 cat... motor is ... well just ask the crowd ...

I would love to be able to afford a 16, but simply cant. I am in canada and i think they want close to 16 grand for a 16, this is why i am looking at gettimg a new holdover.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Dollar for dollar, a 14/15 new RMK Pro-ride will mop up any other sled on fun factor for the buck. There will likely be deals on factory extended warranty again on these non-current sleds to eliminate inventory, too. Poo has figured this out, too - look how much they jacked up the Axys pricing.

If I had a good cat dealer, and was buying a 16, I think the 16 M would be worth a serious test ride. Would still be most expensive all around, up front, mods, resale, but cat eventually works out most issues before they move on to a new chassis. See no reason to buy a 12-15 M unless you plan to put mods into her. Really liked the 10/11 suke 800 and 1000 in the old M, just had to deal with the imitation DD and bulkhead issues they never resolved stock. But then the Pro came along and cleaned up on the mountain market. FWIW.

G-Force

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2002
Kamloops BC
Doober, where abouts up north are you? Buddy has a '14 Pro 155 he bought as a holdover a few months ago.
Then he succumbed to peer pressure and picked up a new Axys as well lol.
He may be willing to cut the '14 loose? He's out west in BC.
You can pm me if you like..

Premium Features