• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Painting Side Panels Black

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
Theres a lot of old threads on this from 2012 ect, just wondering whats the most up to date opinion and facts on painting pro side panels. Im looking to go white to black on a spare set of panels. From reading these past threads, the best/easiest DIY option is good soapy wash, scuff with scotchbrite, maybe a adhesive promoter, and finally spray on with a flex additive paint. I'm thinking this should give me a decent result that will hold up for at least one season (12-15 riding days for me) spent mostly banging around in the tress. And by banging I mean I hit the odd one:face-icon-small-win

Any thoughts on this is appreciated!

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
I picked up the panels used $75 for the pair, which is a good deal up here, so its a lot cheaper then shipping from the states with the dollar right, thank you for the option though definitely something to keep in mind for future changes!

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
take to bodyshop?

yes..... hot!! soapy water.... you cant get enough on plastic then wash it with the gold scotchbrite or maybe grey at most no red......your painter will appreciate you....then just have it all ready and maybe have a "auto body painter" do it for ya...they wouldn't charge much for something simple like that...if he is at all versed in his field he has all the stuff on hand and they spray up fine. Ive done a few for buddies. im a car painter :)

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
I picked up some black gloss krylon, going to try doing it myself and see how it goes proaably tomorrow. I thinking I should be able to get some pretty good results. I will post pictures when finished!

Thanks for the help guys!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If I'm reading this correctly... the panels you want to paint are white now.

If they were from anything besides an Indy... your white panels would have been already painted and are made from TPO...

Wash them...some wax/grease remover scotchbrite them (every nook and cranny) WITHOUT going through the paint... apply a light primer and paint with a good quality automotive paint... flex additive would be a plus if you know how.

If you were to prep them and take them to a local body shop... you should be able to get them to do it for a good price when they next do a bumper or body repair in black.

Last edited:
B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
If I'm reading this correctly... the panels you want to paint are white now.

If they were from anything besides an Indy... your white panels would have been already painted and are made from TPO...

Wash them...some wax/grease remover scotchbrite them (every nook and cranny) WITHOUT going through the paint... apply a light primer and paint with a good quality automotive paint... flex additive would be a plus if you know how.

If you were to prep them and take them to a local body shop... you should be able to get them to do it for a good price when they next do a bumper or body repair in black.

Thank you for the tips MH! I have already washed them well and removed grit/grease ect. I have a grey scotchbrite pad I will "lightly" scuff them up with thoroughly throughout the panels. I have an adhesive primer/promoter I will give a easy coat to...them will the panels two coats of Krylon Black gloss Paint. I'm thinking this should give me something that will hold up for at least a season. Pics to follow!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
not so much on the Krylon... get something that is a bit tougher and you will be happy.

You could get a pint of black U-Tec 280 or 350 single-stage paint... covers well and super durable... the airlines use this. Get it at any body shop supply house... if you dont have a compressor... buy a couple of "Preval" sprayers and have at it. Make sure you spray it outdoors if you dont have a respirator.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER

B. A. P IS A GOod over the counter adhesion promotor its more important than a primer unless the primer is engineered to adhere to plastic...... painting plastic is based on chemical adhesion rather than mechanical adhesion...(scratching it)....no chemical link and bye bye goes yer paint :)

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
again .....buy the time you buy all the products and sprayers and half used chemical cans youll have left over....you may be able to find a cool painter to throw two coats of polyurethane on em fer less than 100.00 if ya had em already for him.....and you will have a far! superior paint.....

B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
Well guys I got these panels done up yesterday and prepped them as per above (cleaning and promoter). I did a total of 5 coats straight from the can of krylon black gloss paint. I Didn't get really good coverage until about the 3rd coat, then from there is was about getting an even clean finish. I let them sit for about 5-7 minutes between coats. I made sure to get enough paint in every nook and cranny (where I scotchbrite scrubbed) and wrap around the edges. Overall I am happy with the finish and quality. Seems like this should holdup for at least a season, but only time and a couple trips out in the trees will tell! Hopefully this can help some of you who have been considering doing it yourself. After all that's what this forum is all about. Who knows how well it will hold but at least it looks good in the shop till November!

IMG_0760.jpg IMG_0754.jpg IMG_0748.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah USA
i did my '08 XP when it was brand new, with the Krylon Fusion. touched up a few tree scrapes and rub marks 2 years ago. when i sold it last fall, the guy who bought it remarked on how good it looked for a DIY paint job. the krylon should hold up fine for you..........

Premium Features