• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

are there any changes/updates on 13-16 800cfi engine?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
The problem is how far the piston pin is above the crank pin. The shorter the rod the greater the problem.

So unless I am missing something here, the AXYS has the same rod length so you feel we will see the same problems with the new motor, with some having con rod bearing failures? I would think even more if it makes more power?

If the oil quality/quantity has anything to do with these limited failures then maybe the new oiling system can overcome this problem? I agree that an angular stroke can have negative effects on a motor but I visualize it doing more damage to the cylinder than the bearing.

I think anytime bearings get blue they are overheated and the answer usually is to reduce friction (more and better oil) OR/AND cool the environment around the bearing. Is there not a better cooling system on the AXYS motor than the old Pro? Maybe not a bigger exchanger but are the heads any different for coolant flow and the cooling lines/thermostat re-plumbed?

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Pretty simple answer is to add more oil.

Cats used to come out of the box near 32 to 1 or richer (good ol' days eh) and some times I even turned them leaner because they were too rich. When they started to lean them out a few failures showed up.
You can't build a crank better than that one.

You need big puddles (for the rods) in there because of zero fuel help. Best way on the cfi 2 form my observations is excessively high at idle setting. Then you have at least enough for 8 to 10 secs.

You take a crank dripping with oil to a crank guy and you always get a smile.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I asked before. (no answer yet) What about a high pressure oil injection? You guys have any thoughts on that?

N

northstarrick

Feb 4, 2012
I have not seen crank bearing or rod bearing failure's down here in the flat land's. we don't nearly put the stress on the motor like you mountain guys do. except maybe the lake runners running wot for 5 miles?

blue anything is hot. hot with no lubrication. so turn your oil pumps up. and vent the oil caps or tanks. this could very well be your issue? you guys that go steep the o.e.m. oil cap is not going to unseat the little white plastic rod in the cap. as the ball won't be able to hit it. I have tested this to no end. if you pull 10"wc on these caps? it will never unseat this. I could bounce the oil tank off the floor and it didn't.

so you making a long pull at wot. the oil pump is trying to pull oil from the tank,at a way high rate then at low throttle input. but it can't because of this poorly designed cap. how long of a run before it pulls 10" wc of vacuum on this?

vent your oil cap. either a doo cap, a tank or cap vent kit, do not drill holes in this. especially you guys that roll your sleds over to get them unstuck. trust me this is a problem with these caps.

and add oil to your fuel tank. 3-5 oz's.

Premium Features