• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

gear down kit question for 7 tooth drivers

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Question for the guys who have ran the 7t drivers and the 241 gear down kit. how well does this setup work? is it too low geared? what's everybody thoughts who have run this setup. thanks for the info

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Food for thought... I've not run the combo you are inquiring about... 7 tooth drivers...

Also... are you talking about 3" pitch or 2.86" pitch??

The KURTS POLARIS 2.41:1 GEAR DOWN KIT, with 7 tooth, 3" pitch drivers will give a bit lower ratio than the stock 3" 2016's.... I'd say you are just fine... but we'll have to wait and see when they come out on the snow in the consumers hands.

Lots going on there... not just the gearing... clutching stays the same with the QD models... I'm sure there will be some tinkering there!

Comparative ratio for those that are used-to 8 tooth, 2.86" pitch drivers would be 2.61:1...
The 2016 AXYS-PRO with the 3" lug tracks... runs 2.52:1 (Comparative 8t ratio)

3"P, 7t drivers are .93 under-drive compared to a 2.86"P, 8t driver.

Last edited:

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
gearing

Yes I'm talking 3 pitch 7 tooth and 241 gearing, that's the same as my t-3 has in it so I figured it would work. just thought I would get some opinions from guys who are running it or tried it. for me and others who maybe interested in this setup. Last season I installed the track and I have the gear down kit in hand just wanted to make sure I won't be stuck in low range all the time or loose track speed

Last edited:

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I have the C3 syncro drive on mine with 2.12:1 gearing and the 7 tooth drivers for the X3 track (which puts me at 2.42:1) and running the RK Tek Rev 1 drop in kit with a 13.1:1 head.. I think mine is geared too low and I have problems with hitting the DET sensor in the midrange when going in the trails from the parking lots (2300') to the mountains (5000').. I think I'm going to raise my gearing to the next highest ratio which will put me at 2.33:1 to see if it helps with the DET problem.
I had the RK Tek drop in kit before putting the X3 track and 7 tooth drivers on and only ever hit the DET sensor 1 time when playing with helix's on my secondary, but when after going to the 7 tooth drivers I hit it quite a bit in that circumstance..
Other than that problem, the gearing works well, but I don't think it needs to be quite that high!!

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
I have the C3 syncro drive on mine with 2.12:1 gearing and the 7 tooth drivers for the X3 track (which puts me at 2.42:1) and running the RK Tek Rev 1 drop in kit with a 13.1:1 head.. I think mine is geared too low and I have problems with hitting the DET sensor in the midrange when going in the trails from the parking lots (2300') to the mountains (5000').. I think I'm going to raise my gearing to the next highest ratio which will put me at 2.33:1 to see if it helps with the DET problem.
I had the RK Tek drop in kit before putting the X3 track and 7 tooth drivers on and only ever hit the DET sensor 1 time when playing with helix's on my secondary, but when after going to the 7 tooth drivers I hit it quite a bit in that circumstance..
Other than that problem, the gearing works well, but I don't think it needs to be quite that high!!

I have run that kit in several sleds and really never had det problems I never have ridden that low in elevation ether. But makes me think you need more fuel or more clutch weight. 242 is not that low of a ratio before you regear it look and see if your belt is shifting clear to the top, if it's not then I would say you need to do some clutching first

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Running 2.42 gearing on the Pro is too low for stock clutching but if you load the motor by changing to a steeper helix it can shift out easier. Then you use more of your primary clutch and you will be better off. Here is a clear example of tall gearing on the Pro. If you ever walked a XM up a truck deck ramp and then do the same with a Pro you will see the difference. The Pro is really jumpy but the Doo walks up gently. The lower gearing you get, the more controllable the sled becomes. Engagement RPM also needs to be lower with a softer primary spring.

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I'll have to check the helix I am running; I cannot remember off hand what it is... However I definitely agree that the motor is not being loaded enough; when I'm running in the midrange and the motor is under load in the trees and powder, there are no issues with DET. It is only on the trails and in the midrange where it hits DET.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
... and running the RK Tek Rev 1 drop in kit with a 13.1:1 head.. I think mine is geared too low and I have problems with hitting the DET sensor in the midrange when going in the trails from the parking lots (2300') to the mountains (5000')..

Are you in DET or hitting the rev limiter? I had the same kit with the 13.1, and below 5k I could hit it at will with 8k clutching, especially if snow was soft. If I clutched for 5k, it was gone. Rev limiter displays a dET code, but it's really over revving so fast it won't usually show on the tach, even in replay mode. Poo uses the dET message on the display for overrev. An overrev code will get stored in the ECM, and not a dET code, if it happens for a long enough duration. Just in case you're not aware...

Last edited:

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
Are you in DET or hitting the rev limiter? I had the same kit with the 13.1, and below 5k I could hit it at will with 8k clutching, especially if snow was soft. If I clutched for 5k, it was gone. Rev limiter displays a dET code, but it's really over revving so fast it won't usually show on the tach, even in replay mode. Poo uses the dET message on the display for overrev. An overrev code will get stored in the ECM, and not a dET code, if it happens for a long enough duration. Just in case you're not aware...

I think it us DET, it is always around that 6000-6500 rpm mark... The engine sounds like it is sputtering when it happens...

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I'll have to check the helix I am running; I cannot remember off hand what it is... However I definitely agree that the motor is not being loaded enough; when I'm running in the midrange and the motor is under load in the trees and powder, there are no issues with DET. It is only on the trails and in the midrange where it hits DET.

Well, I finally got a chance to check the secondary to see what helix I was running; it is a Team Tied with a 73-57-36 and the red & black secondary spring. It also has the 73-59-36 cut as well so I switched it over to that angle and hopefully that will load the motor better to get rid of the DET in the midrange problem.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
How many tooth sprockets are on the gears?

I don't know much about the pro gearing yet, but the cat going from 8 to 7 tooth the actual measurements come out to just under 9% (8.8 ish) so 2.41 drops to 2.62.

No idea yet, but I can't imagine it being different.
My opinion is to low to load the clutches for max performance. Cat did that and it fell on performance unless clutching was messed up.
I geared mine to a final of 2.42 and pulls harder. Would never go lower than 2.50 as a final ratio.
It was my understanding that 2.41 was final on the 16 axys 3", was that not correct

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Wyo... Cat is a 3" pitch... Polaris... 2.86" pitch...as I'm sure you are aware of.

going to a 7 tooth 3" pitch from an 8tooth 2.86" pitch is a .92 underdrive.

Going from 7 tooth 2.86" pitch (stock AXYS-Mtn, non-3" lug) to 7 tooth 3" pitch is a 1.04 overdrive. (the 3" driver is larger diameter).

I also believe that the primary and secondary functional shieve diameters are diff cat to Poo (and Doo) .. So the translation is not direct and gearing/secondary clutch helix-feedback from the track will function differently.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Gearing on all the sleds all sleds run the same straight cut 40 ER helix

Assault/SKS 155" with 2.6" track = 20/40/72p

All 3"-Lug, 155" & 163" (actually 156" & 162") Equipped sleds = 19/44/74p

Quickdrive™ sleds all have 22/43 gearing

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Yep, got that. Kinda looking to know more along the lines of the 16 with chain case and 3"
Which should be the same driver size as the 16 cat, both 3 pitch and 3" track with 7 tooth drivers.

Admitted I don't know, that's what im looking to clear up.
Forgot to take the other driver into factor on pitch though.
But the cat 8 tooth is bigger and going to the same 7 tooth it's a bigger difference which actually measures out to a 8.8 ish %, so it's confusing that the smaller 8 tooth 2.86 compared to the 7 tooth 3 pitch is a bigger percentage

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Same drivers, yep... and consider this... the actual diameter of the primary and Secondary where the belt rides... If you have a team secondary on your Cat (which I have no clue about)... then I would imagine that the "translation" should be pretty direct.

If the diameter is different... then the the gearing "translation" cat-to-poo would not be direct. Even tiny difference in dia. will have an effect.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Forgot to take the other driver into factor on pitch though.
But the cat 8 tooth is bigger and going to the same 7 tooth it's a bigger difference which actually measures out to a 8.8 ish %, so it's confusing that the smaller 8 tooth 2.86 compared to the 7 tooth 3 pitch is a bigger percentage

Show your math... maybe we're on the same page.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The 16 cat runs team clutches, the secondary I'm pretty sure is the same but not 100%.

The new cat also translates to a final 2.86 gear ratio. Way to high, doesn't load the clutches at all. My 14 with 3" and 2.42 pulls on it pretty hard

Premium Features