• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New 2015 Yamaha Mountain Max???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
patience-is-a-virtue.jpg

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010

Patience ?????????? Yamaha acts like its a big deal for them to put a Nytro engine in an Arctic Cat trail sled - and its a big deal that in a year to two to get a Mountain sled out with possible boost.

Look at what Two Guys in Alberta at thier boost-it shop did in a matter of a few weeks - Bought a 1100T, pulled out the POS 1100 and put in a Nytro engine, built and installed a turbo system for it, did a few other upgrades, got it on the snow for everyone to test at Yamafest - A SMALL SHOP and in a few WEEKS not years.

Get off your azzes Yamaha and get a real boosted mountain sled out there - sooner than later - your way bigger than a small shop that gets stuff done and gets it done right in a decent time frame - or better yet maybe Just hire NM to build your next mountain beast.

4strokesmoke

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2011
iowa
More like a bunch of crap! Their words were " 5 new sleds and motors in the next five years and a new mountain sled in model year 2015." I'm ready to switch from xtx to a mountain sled. But I really dont want to buy an mtx to only feel that I need to dump thousands more into it to make it competitive. Then have a diff chassis come out later.
I'm starting to think that YMC is spoon feeding us a bunch of lines to string us along. First they say that there's nothing more to the Yamaha/Arctic cat agreement then the 120, next it's just that AC is building the viper for YMC for 3 years. Now it's talk of another AC built sled and no mountain sled for another 2 years. It's obvious they don't care about the mountain segment, but can somehow sponsor a RMSHA team.

I know your saying to be patient, but when your ready to buy your ready!

Oh and a factory 174", waist of time in my opinion. I feel that the guys that want one will make it any ways. I don't need a sled that's as long as a semi and weighs as much as a bulldozer but hey the motor will run forever. I don't see how they could sell enough to make it worth the time to make them.

Yamaha just needs to approach polaris and skidoo and say "hey we just want to sell you motors and quit building sleds then everyone can choose what sled they want a Yamaha motor in"
Sorry but it's just the way I'm starting to feel.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
All I can offer are tidbits that come across my desk.
So far as I know Yamaha is "forging" a new long term relationship with Arctic Cat. Right now it appears they have a short term (couple of years) contract with Arctic Cat to produce the Vyper.

If that works out then it appears there is great interest in merging the skill sets of the two companies to bring something "NEW" to the market that doesn't exist right now.

We all want it Yesterday, I got it, I am right there with ya.

But the reality is, these things really do that time, and Yamaha is known to be somewhat GLACIERish in their movements...:face-icon-small-hap

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Made me sad to see 2015 Max would have triple 4-stroke. My Nytro and my Phazer are very near same weight yet Phazer is like riding a 300 pound sled cause the weight is down low. Not interested in another top heavy Yamaha and I was SOOOOOoooooooooooooo looking forward.

Guess I will make that call and see if that 2013 Cat is still for sale here and if they will take a S/C Nytro in trade. :face-icon-small-sad

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
There will be a proclimb cat chassis with nytro motor mountain sled for 2015. Both cat and yammi will have their version. I'm making my own this year, XF cross country with a 162, 38 wide front and the MPI turbo. I loved my 1100turbo the last two seasons and with the nytro motor being 20-30lbs lighter it will be an awesome sled.

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
There will be a proclimb cat chassis with nytro motor mountain sled for 2015. Both cat and yammi will have their version. I'm making my own this year, XF cross country with a 162, 38 wide front and the MPI turbo. I loved my 1100turbo the last two seasons and with the nytro motor being 20-30lbs lighter it will be an awesome sled.

Yamaha is feeding some aftermarket companies to be ready with some serious stuff this winter....like plugin Ecu, turbo kit and supercharger kit :) .Pay attention kitty 1100 turbo owner, reflashed or not, another level of performance will it the snow in november!!! It is so cool working with 3 cylinders and yamaha clutches ;)

vi-pec powersports

Last edited:

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Yamaha is feeding some aftermarket companies to be ready with some serious stuff this winter....like plugin Ecu, turbo kit and supercharger kit :) .Pay attention kitty 1100 turbo owner, reflashed or not, another level of performance will it the snow in november!!! It is so cool working with 3 cylinders and yamaha clutches ;)

vi-pec powersports

The day has to come were these sleds can be ordered right from the manufacturing companies ( Yamaha ) with this stuff already on it ( programmable ECU , gauges that i can program to see what ever the ECU sees , 3" - 162 or 174 tracks , mountain front ends ( skis-"A" arms) , a mountain rear skid that can handle the turbo HP ) Turboed
All the manufacturing companies play this game of feeding the aftermarket companies with info and sleds so someone else can build the stuff , why can,t I order it with what I want , instead of spending money twice.
The auto industry ( 3/4 & 1 ton trucks) did this , exhaust brakes , air bags , more power etc.
The sled industry is light years behind.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
The day has to come were these sleds can be ordered right from the manufacturing companies ( Yamaha ) with this stuff already on it ( programmable ECU , gauges that i can program to see what ever the ECU sees , 3" - 162 or 174 tracks , mountain front ends ( skis-"A" arms) , a mountain rear skid that can handle the turbo HP ) Turboed
All the manufacturing companies play this game of feeding the aftermarket companies with info and sleds so someone else can build the stuff , why can,t I order it with what I want , instead of spending money twice.
The auto industry ( 3/4 & 1 ton trucks) did this , exhaust brakes , air bags , more power etc.
The sled industry is light years behind.

Because everyone makes more money when you mod your sled, and the majority of us are going to have the sled the way we want it regardless of if we can buy it or build it.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
why can,t I order it with what I want , instead of spending money twice.

One simple answer is
ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD

Yamaha, by NOT factory installing Turbos or Superchargers is able to SKIRT around the restrictive emissions mandates.

if YOU install it aftermarket, YOU can do anything you want.
if Yamaha does it, then it MUST be 100% compliant..

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
One simple answer is

Yamaha, by NOT factory installing Turbos or Superchargers is able to SKIRT around the restrictive emissions mandates.

Then I should be able to buy a bear engine and bulkhead ( chassis ) for the guys building moded sleds ,I know , it will never happen:face-icon-small-fro , it would cut into there profit , the manufactures like using these rules too :light:

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
One simple answer is

How does Arctic Cat sell a turbo charged four stroke mountain sled then? I would think Yamaha has the ability to do whatever Arctic Cat did in order to sell a factory boosted sled.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
They could and hopefully will, but it's going to be a detuned version to pass emissions standards. Cats turbo four stroke can gain a lot just with a ecu reflash. So if Yami does go the route of stock turboed expect it to perform, but not like your mod sled. Would be nice to just upgrade parts though rather than start from scratch.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Compared to the trail market the mountain market is a small percentage of total sales. Bottom line is trail riders while lots do have turboed and supercharged sleds the vast majority don't and aren't demanding them, no demand = no product. If you are in flat land lets face it how long can you keep a turbo sled pinned to the bars, not very long so there really isn't the demand with the exception of a few hard core guys, ma and pa trail rider don't need or even want it. Until such time as Yamaha decides to truly address the mountain segment where we need the power and can use it I just don't see it happening. The proof is in the product, look at this latest offering they couldn't even be bothered to design their own sled. Sorry but LAME. JMO

M5

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
How does Arctic Cat sell a turbo charged four stroke mountain sled then? I would think Yamaha has the ability to do whatever Arctic Cat did in order to sell a factory boosted sled.

NO DOUBT IN MY MIND!
They absolutely COULD do it.
And from what I have been told they WILL do it....

If the persistent rumors are true, you will see a Factory boosted EPA compliant OEM Yamaha sled surface in 2015

Very likely a "YamaCat"

Hopefully a new MountainMax...

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
If its a Yamicat, I'm not going to be as impressed as I would if it was it's own chassis. However, since my "wife's" sled is a '13 Proclimb and it handles freaking amazing...I'll make do with the best of both worlds :)

Premium Features