• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Intercoolers

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Is it ok to not run any sort of intercooler, and just a straight charge tube?

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Dragon 800 depending on the day 8-10#'s running straight Av.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
i run 9/10 With no cooler but im on a arcticcat i would say no but any more than that yes . And then it would be water to air only.There are just sa many variables.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
you can run all sorts of boost with no intercooler without "issue" just different tuning requirements for it. 8-10 psi is doable but depending on turbo sizing and intake configuration the charge temps can get rather hot and you will start taxing your reeds a fair amount. Also your chances of detonation go up fairly high as charge temps start to increase greatly. If your going to run this level with straight charge tube and no coolers, go for a true cold air intake to ensure reasonable charge temps under load.

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Yes I already have my air intake snorkeled outside, garrett 2860rs turbo, and I run straight Av fuel.

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
you can run all sorts of boost with no intercooler without "issue" just different tuning requirements for it. 8-10 psi is doable but depending on turbo sizing and intake configuration the charge temps can get rather hot and you will start taxing your reeds a fair amount. Also your chances of detonation go up fairly high as charge temps start to increase greatly. If your going to run this level with straight charge tube and no coolers, go for a true cold air intake to ensure reasonable charge temps under load.

In all honesty how do the reeds hold up with no intercooling? This really seems to be the weak link of he motor. Seems your eventually gonna burn up the reeds sometime. Making long WOT pulls really puts a hurt on them IMO.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
In all honesty how do the reeds hold up with no intercooling? This really seems to be the weak link of he motor. Seems your eventually gonna burn up the reeds sometime. Making long WOT pulls really puts a hurt on them IMO.
so much of it depends on riding style honestly, I ride with a group of guys that tend to ride almost snowbike like terrain so we rarely spend much WOT time. Mostly just brapping around with 2-3 seconds WOT were you need the turbo power. This doesn't seem to be so hard on them as things aren't getting baked and super heat soaked like a 30 second WOT pull up a chute or big bowl. Once they start de-laminating they go fast.

also depends on kit your running, kit with external injectors pre throttle bodies seem to last way longer as it keeps a nice mist of fuel going over reeds to keep temps in check on them.

Premium Features