• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK turbo, coolant bypass kit install with pics

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Here's my installation of a coolant bypass kit with MTNTK turbo kit. Wanted to provide this to save someone else the trouble of figuring it out on your own. Feel free to email me with any questions. likkerpig@mail.com

Parts list:
- Coolant bypass kit, individual parts or sourced from Rogers in WY. (mine was donated by Garth aka Wellfed777 - want to say THANK YOU to him for paying it forward.)
- 1x: 3/4" plastic 90* elbow (Gates p/n: 28625)
- 2x: Heater fitting, (Napa p/n: 84742. Box also has 660-1530 on it)
- 1x: Unicoil, (Gates p/n: 28512)
- 12" of 3/4" heater hose, I got mine at Napa.
- gates/napa power grips.
Not sure, I went through a few doing the installation so not sure if you need a few more than what's provided in the Roger's kit or not. You'll have to just pick up a few from Napa or other source. I got mine from Rock Auto. Pricing was significantly better than my local auto parts stores, pick them up wherever is most convenient for you.

** It's been a few months since I worked on this and may have forgotten a part or 2, so I apologize in advance if the parts list is incomplete **

Make sure your turbo kit is installed prior to starting. Mine wasn't, hence some of the little things that would've made the install cleaner. I'm not happy with some of those little things, but I don't feel like going back to fix it...you've been warned, so there ya go.

Ok, now to the fun part....

You'll need the main coolant line coming off the head same as MTNTK has you flip. You'll wind up cutting it and rotating the 90* end. You'll also need the 90* end off the Roger's kit. Note the 2 90* splices in the picture. Some fitting of the lengths will be required to ensure it fits without rubbing on the gas tank. Make sure you mock up the install prior to cutting. That's that whole measure twice, cut once thing your dad hopefully told you.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Remove the main coolant line from the bottle. You'll want to make sure the recoil rope guide is installed prior to doing this step otherwise you'll wind up with what I have. Make sure the plastic 90* elbow is aligned such that it fits where the nut for the rope guide is. Mine should've been moved to the rear just a little more. As you can see, I had to trim the elbow. If it was farther to the rear, I believe it would've cleared the airbox. You may or may not need to trim the elbow, test fit and see. I also had to trim the plastic rib by the airbox or it would've rubbed.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Here I used the Gates Unicoil to keep the shape of the hose so it didn't pinch off and restrict coolant flow. You could probably get by without it, however while I had it apart I felt it made sense to do it (mostly) right the 3rd time.
attachment.php

attachment.php

20150307_143537.jpg 20150307_143759.jpg 20150307_134644.jpg 20150307_143528.jpg 20150307_143817.jpg 20150307_194817.jpg 20150307_134609.jpg

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
nice work ! it turned out really good :face-icon-small-hap

an extra thanks to TRS who made all this come together

(" Rogers Sport Center Kit is complete also. No outsourcing for parts needed.
307-587-6818 ")

Last edited:
Premium Features