• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK turbo

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
http://youtu.be/M2vuQ7dPGUA

Here is the video comparing at 12 lbs boost on mtntk pro. Elevation is around 2000 ft. So the m1000 is making good power. Last year when we compared my sled would beat him by a couple lengths with the pro at 5-6 lbs pump gas and stockish clutching. Now his clutching is way better and the race tune is perfected. I think when guys hop on the mtntk pro and say it feels like a stocker cause it's how good it runs not the lack of power. The mtntk runs like a stocker but pulls like a freight train. It's all I can do to pick up a cheap pro and boost it right now. For $14000 you can build a wicked sled right now.

Is he still running av gas at 2000 ft and 12 lbs of boost?

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
niner

i'm new to the turbo game but i've noticed they have LONG LEGS :face-icon-small-hap

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Dyeman- curious about your underhood intake. The only "complaint" I have is intake noise, but I can deal with it. Just wondering what you did with your intake tube.

Feb 6, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I just bought a MtnTk turbo a few weeks ago and am super happy with the set up. My only compliant is the lack of a boost gauge, it does come with the Bully Dog Tuner, but I was told to not permenatley install it, so my question is how are you guys seeing boost? Where are you plumbing in the boost gauge??

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Of course your not feeling lag at 6 psi your only adding a little power over stock so you dont have to put way bigger weights in it. the thing about a turbo is it changes the power and is more about top end were you really notice what the turbo is doing. if your in and out of the throttle and seldom use the top end its pretty much a waste.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Mtntk sells a boost gauge and bracket to mount to the handlebars for like 100. You can get the gauge less the bracket from other sources for less. I have a gauge lifter by madfab so I mounted the boost gauge to my main gauge lifter. To make removal of the hood easier I added a boost gauge quick disconnect plug from evo motorsports (sell AC Turbo stuff). It was a bitch getting the barb end into the tubing but works great. I can get pics tonight.

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
We (Parkland Motorsports) have 45 MTNTK kits on the snow, With good results. All kits now come with the 1000cc injectors so the tuning is the same for everyone and every sled. the kits on pump gas run great throttle response is perfect, with this being said pump gas set up is 10/68 primary weight with a 160/310 primary spring and stock secondary. On pump gas it will spin the engine at 8100 no matter the load, supper heavy snow 3 inch 174 big guy on the sled whatever. If you know anything at all about clutching a pro then you will know what it takes to pull 68 grams at 7000 to 8000 feet with a 310 finish on the primary spring. So the guys that say they are no better than stock clearly don't know what they are talking about they need to go put some 10/68 and a 310 spring in there sleds and go for a ride and see the power it needs to spin those weights at 8100 at 8000 feet. We have found at higher boost we need a lot more air so extra venting is needed, there is also a new waste gate spring out now as well. 10 to 12 # feel good with this setup on a AV gas mix. For me personally I love the kit if your in the trees a lot with a stock chassis and want a turbo this is it. To much power in the trees is a waste if the chassis cant handle it anyway. It is smooth constant power all the time, on pump gas its just the right amount to keep that 3 inch whipping in the deep snow. Hope this helps and we always have a sled for test drives.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Of course your not feeling lag at 6 psi your only adding a little power over stock so you dont have to put way bigger weights in it. the thing about a turbo is it changes the power and is more about top end were you really notice what the turbo is doing. if your in and out of the throttle and seldom use the top end its pretty much a waste.

Has lag, bogging and inconsistency not been the plague of turbo kits, no matter the performance level, for years? This one runs spot on IMHO.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I just bought a MtnTk turbo a few weeks ago and am super happy with the set up. My only compliant is the lack of a boost gauge, it does come with the Bully Dog Tuner, but I was told to not permenatley install it, so my question is how are you guys seeing boost? Where are you plumbing in the boost gauge??

Here is my setup. The gauge lifter with fan is from Wildchild. I drilled and tapped that boss on my turbo for the gauge. Also, I left the full six feet of tubing to the gauge so I can stand the hood in front of the sled without disconnecting anything for small jobs. The excess kind of coils up and is too small to interfere with anything when the hood is on. I used a fuel pressure gauge because I liked the 15# range and I didn't want a compound (pressure and vacuum) gauge.

picture.php

picture.php

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Almost the exact same setup, however I just unscrewed the plug screw in the compressor housing and screwed in the barb fitting... Didn't see any reason to do all that work of drilling and tapping. Call me lazy.

Gray connector is the boost gauge quick disconnect fitting.

20150210_200718.jpg 20150210_200738.jpg

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
The turbo compresser housing will show more boost than what the airbox is getting. So make sure you get your boost gauge reference from your airbox.

M

mike_s

Jan 19, 2012
Ashton, Idaho
The turbo compresser housing will show more boost than what the airbox is getting. So make sure you get your boost gauge reference from your airbox.

The difference in this instance wil be negligeable, at best. There is very little restriction happening between the compressor discharge, and the air plenum, thus pressure drop will be minimal. If there was an intercooler involved there would be a legitimate reason to move the gauge reference tap, but not so in this case.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I didn't like the position of the factory tapping way down on the smallest part of housing. Too close to the compressor wheel.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
That's fair enough. It seems like kind of an odd spot for it but whatever. If that's what they recommend, I'm ok with it. Do agree that it's very close to the wheel....

I was able to validate/compare boost settings via bullydog tuner and the mechanical gauge, both were right on from what I could tell. Bullydog was a little slow to read but whatever.

Hitman450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2010
Belle Fourche, S.D
I've had the mtntk kit since they came out. Before injectors I was wanting more. Still ran good but turn the boost up it would goat. Talked with Shawn and got the 1000cc injectors and emailed new tune. Couldn't be happier with the setup. Thing rips! I run mine at 8-9 pounds and 2 gallons of av fuel for reassurance. Ran my brothers new boondocker water to air with oil less kit. 6 pounds mine pulled on his a bit. 8 pounds they where dang near even. My kit 5k his kit 8k and took way longer to install. Just my 2cents!

S

Shred Master

Mar 14, 2008
Have about 1000 km on mine been running good but last ride sled died and never ran again thought it was fried voltage regulator or ecu. Swapped ecu sled ran then decided to reflash my ecu to stock off dealer computer and now it runs have yet to put tunes back in I think I file in the tune went corrupte has anyone had a problem like this?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Not saying it isn't possible, it is a "computer" but all the files in the ecu should be read only. Interesting problem though. Do the factory tables get copied from the ecu to the bullydog, and then updated with the mtntk tables? Not sure if you'll need a new set of files from mtntk or not.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
The bullydog only re flashes your stock fuel map in your ECU. for the turbo. When the sled is running it use all stock perimeters of your ECU exept for the custom mapping. If you put in a new or different ECU. You MUST get a new map from Shawn, all maps are custom to the serial number on the ECU that you submitted when you got your turbo. Not all stock ECU have the same mapping. Also a brand new ECU would need the digital wrench to install the stock mapping.
Hope this helps

Premium Features