• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

pix on 14 pro meltdown

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
Too much timing advance resulting in piston's edge disintegration (very very small detonation)
17d52e217ddbb3e676c0802a62a08b79.jpg

Last edited:
V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
I have next to zero experience tuning turbo 2 strokes. What I have had is 3 years on a turbo sled that was delivered poorly to myself (and a friend who built an identical setup.) Through the first season we were left in the dark (as all Canadian customers were,) and did a lot of self education.

I am relaying only what I have learned/been told (which could have been all bs,) based on my experience running a Vipec controlled turbo kit. I have used the word DET too loosely.

I would assume the significance of det vs pre ignition to a tuner would be whether the issues are before plug firing or after? If not please elaborate.

As for my sled, I was told it was DET due to poor fuel quality and HM urged all their customers after that season was up to start running a minimum of 20% AV going forward.

This thread got me thinking about it again, we were running stock injectors on these sleds. HM had mentioned at about 6.5psi with their sleds we were using 100% of the stock injectors duty cycle. That is the reason I asked in a previous post if the piston crown melt I pictured could be caused by a lean condition? Though we had a third sled built that has ran basically spotless with 6.5psi and stock injectors.
The mapping i am running is a tinny bit different than shane's here at see level. Running 1000cc injectors is a must after 5psi since stock ones are maxed out at 5.5psi. The yammi dude problem is a lean condition (wich led to det) 100%, Why now? I don t know wich kit he is running but to me, (1) complete crap mapping for application(who built it for what kit i don't know) but it looks way to lean/complete off timing to be an actual turbo kit manufacturer we are working with on a regular base......(2)if it is an hm kit(aero), then i would think a very bad exhaust leak or (3)an aerocharger overboosting with an improper map limit set in the ECU (with no hard ignition cut protection set) to let the driver know something ain't right. The aerocharger turbos need lots of attention due to their design(fuc$in vanes....). I liked my aero hm kit and never had much problems running roughly 6-8 psi on pump 91 intercooled BUT we are very focus and lots of experience in turbo 2 stroke applications and i had to "correct" my aero 66 once or twice a year (vanes) because i could "feel" such problems(datalogger) and interfer right away so i have had no break......this being said, i will personaly move away from aerocharger turbos....too much maintenance and very questionnable initial quality control(problems with new units) and they have a tendancy to age with difficulty and to top it all, EXTREME cost to repair.

Last edited:
D
Nov 14, 2013
The mapping i am running is a tinny bit different than shane's here at see level. Running 1000cc injectors is a must after 5psi since stock ones are maxed out at 5.5psi. The yammi dude problem is a lean condition (wich led to det) 100%, Why now? I don t know wich kit he is running but to me, (1) complete crap mapping for application(who built it for what kit i don't know) but it looks way to lean/complete off timing to be an actual turbo kit manufacturer we are working with on a regular base......(2)if it is an hm kit(aero), then i would think a very bad exhaust leak or (3)an aerocharger overboosting with an improper map limit set in the ECU (with no hard ignition cut protection set) to let the driver know something ain't right. The aerocharger turbos need lots of attention due to their design(fuc$in vanes....). I liked my aero hm kit and never had much problems running roughly 6-8 psi on pump 91 intercooled BUT we are very focus and lots of experience in turbo 2 stroke applications and i had to "correct" my aero 66 once or twice a year (vanes) because i could "feel" such problems(datalogger) and interfer right away so i have had no break......this being said, i will personaly move away from aerocharger turbos....too much maintenance and very questionnable initial quality control(problems with new units) and they have a tendancy to age with difficulty and to top it all, EXTREME cost to repair.

I feel your pain with some of the aero QC, we had a lot of grief with boost controller springs and boost controller rod lengths if I remember correctly.

2 of us made the switch to 1000cc injectors and haven't looked back. Will be pulling the pistons on the third sled shortly, I have an idea of what we will find.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa

You need to pm me and I will give you my phone number. I think you will be retracting some of these comments when I tell you who's kit it is.

Purposely left that info out because I am pretty sure it is not the kit builders problem. They have too many running good.

No it's not a aero

Glad to discuss this as I would love another opinion to help it from happening again

Thanks.

Kirk

V

Vi-PEC Powersports

Aug 17, 2011
CANADA
You need to pm me and I will give you my phone number. I think you will be retracting some of these comments when I tell you who's kit it is.

Purposely left that info out because I am pretty sure it is not the kit builders problem. They have too many running good.

No it's not a aero

Glad to discuss this as I would love another opinion to help it from happening again

Thanks.

Kirk
No need to retract nothing, if you are running a turbo kit coming from a manufacturer we are working with regularly, then your sled has something abnormal. Your datalogger has answers(it will point you in the right direction) analyzing your logs will let you know what's happening. Most of the time with poor running sled we find leaks all across intake/exhaust. Working with secondary injectors in another problem addition....keep it simple, leaning the hardware is best on a turbo kit, less stuff to have a headache with.

Premium Features