• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Screw CFR

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I made these instead of paying for their overpriced racks. I had all of the materials, but the hardware to mount and such ran about $20 total. For a peice of UHMW to make the racks out of in the size I wanted, the guy says goes for about $7 a lb, so I'm assuming less than $50 for the material.

I taco'd my tunnel earlier this year and was looking for a reliable way to replace it, and hold my skis, without taco'ing it again. I had to buy a new rear section, so I figured I'll give myself a fresh start.

So I started mockin up pieces that work, UHMW makes a huge mess, it took me about 6 tries to get it right.

IMG_0346.JPG

Checked Position. Fits skis fine:
IMG_0347.JPG

Put some SS wood certs in the back side to fit the strap.
IMG_0376.JPG

Aluminum plates underneath, riveted to 2 different sometimes 3 spots on the tunnel for added strength when bending:
IMG_0570.JPG

Bought 4 straps from local ski place ($20)
IMG_0572.JPG

Solid balls!
IMG_0574.JPG

As you notice the back posts are wider than the front posts. Thats to fit my other set of skis that have Marker Dukes on them. They are solid for both sets of skis.

IMG_0576.JPG

It took quite a bit of time, but I think these will work good, they are quick and wont destroy my sled again.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
I've got about 6 Extra UHMW "T" racks, they are not the best looking, but I'm sure they will work in case anyone wants them, just pay shipping and they are yours. They are the slimmer ones that just hold the board or ski, wont hold anything wider.

IMG_0346.JPG

05 tmk 900

Jan 26, 2010
squamish
The only thing worse than the overpriced cfr's are the guys who shell out $500 to buy them !! I have DIY's as well and I like to see them in the back country.

M

mthoodskiguy

Feb 19, 2008
DIAMOND LAKE/BEND
U. Ought figure out a way to use rivets so there not as much bulk underneath the tunnel. Just my.02. But way slick for sure. How did your skis taco your tunnel I am very curious?

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
He originally had an ATV gunrack mounted on the end of the handle for the bumper. The levarage of skis going through whoops that far back put a bunch of extra stress on the tunnel and it cracked right behind the suspension block.
This new setup has both mounts much closer to the suspension mount where the tunnel is strong, less levarage on the back of the tunnel.

I still have an ATV mount on the back of mine, but I have the VanAmburg bumper that's stronger then a tank :face-icon-small-hap

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
U. Ought figure out a way to use rivets so there not as much bulk underneath the tunnel. Just my.02. But way slick for sure. How did your skis taco your tunnel I am very curious?
Does not seem to have a way to rivet the racks to the tunnel. Plus the bigger bolts give it a ton more strength.

After a couple of long whooped rides the racks have held up strong, a couple of the bolts were a bit too long and when we were 3 upping on the sled it tore into the sides of the track a bit. I cut the bolts down about 1/4" and it does not rub anymore. Im pretty happy with the racks, the next ones Id like to have the skis closer to the seat though, they get in the way a little bit when riding.

N
Jul 23, 2008
Bump because I'm gonna re-design my ski carry system over the summer.

Found this thread a while back and really like the idea - airpopoff any chance you could fix the broken pic links?

Premium Features