• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recommended gear down options??

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Silber turbo, 2015 pro, with 163 track. Not much info on guys gearing down the pros with a turbo. Benefits of cooler Belt temps and more usable power are obvious on a stock set up. Do they not apply with boost too?? 2.25-2.4 ratio work well while boosted??? Not too mention a more bullet proof set up with c3 and tki!!! What r u runnin? For Mountain riding and boondocking ofcourse. Stock drivers, stock track. Timbersled skid. Thx.

Last edited:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
A gear down will help, yes, but it's only part of the equation.
Things like clutch alignment, deflection and parallelism all play a part.
2 torque stops(unsure of the proper term as summer is here) are required to keep the motor in one place. Slp sells a pto side one and boost it makes a nifty one for mag side.
Cleaning your clutches every 2 rides is required.
It might sound like that work sucks, but if you have a turbo its similar to running a 10 second 1/4 mile car. It has to be maintained and you have to understand what piece is doing what.
If you do the work yourself, it will be satisfying. If you pay a shop to do your work, you will be depressed.
The above is my experience and opinion. Do with it what you will!

Order Olav Aaen's latest clutch tuning handbook and simply follow how he shows to make your clutches aligned etc.

M

MacDawg productions

Sep 5, 2008
Van Isle, British Columbia
Thx Kane. Copy that. Maintenance and cleaning is no prob. I'm comfortable with changing weights and have the basic knowledge with clutching. Not much posted about gear ratios with turbos and stock track and drivers. Not interested in a 3" conversion.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
I find that our west coast snow and air density in BC is a totally different animal than in other areas.
It could be a good idea to do one change at a time to work toward getting clutch temps down and your sled running for your type of riding.
It'll take a season of riding and testing but it'll pay off if you are going to keep your sled for a while.
Hopefully Mt. Washington will get its usual major snowfall this year!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So just to share my observations:

we sell the TKI belt drive systems in Calgary. This has given me the opportunity to play with gearing on my 14 Pro 800 and 13 Pro 600.

The 10% gearing change was perfect for the 800 (2.25:1) and a 20% change for the 600 was great (2.42:1)

This said I think the 2.42:1 gearing may have worked very well on the 800 if I took the time to make clutching changes on the secondary. This is exactly what I will do this year with the 15 I have coming.

Besides seat of the pants performance gains, the best unexpected gain was way less clutch belt heat and the clutch belt failures went away. This was seen on both the 600 and 800.
And if you don't blow belts on a stocker, you are not pushing them as hard as we do.

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
I run a 2013 Silber Turbo on my 2014 Pro, 163-3" with the BD up grade. I run the 7 tooth drivers an TKI belt drive, I geared to end up with a 2.37--- love it

Premium Features