• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I paid for a TPS adjustment, did I get one?

C
Dec 24, 2014
Personally I would take it back and say they did not fix the problem so I either want my money back or fix the problem. Not really a corporate Polaris issue but it is a service department issue with the dealer. If they do not work with you I would cut my ties and find a better dealer that can fix the issue personally.

Yes, most certainly a dealer issue. It very well may have me on a SkiDoo next season... That combined with a less than stellar experience with the '14 vs my '13. This '14 is going to need a jackshaft too. It is spinning inside the race behind the brake. I understand the jackshaft is on national back order for 2-3 weeks... I love the sled, the problems though are ridiculous and making me serious second guess what I ride.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Update...

Went back to the dealer because the idle is getting worse. One morning it took three re-starts to keep it barely running. I told them I was tired of paying to have them not be able to fix my new under warranty sled.

Dealer contacted Polaris, was given a list of checks to make including compression and fuel pressure to be checked both hot and cold. Sounds like everything checked out but did not fix the problem.

Tech told me he adjusted the idle speed and that seems to have cured it on the bench. It will hit the snow this weekend for testing in my hands.

I had a feeling just a bump in idle speed would do it but told the tech I wasn't going to make that adjustment since it could throw off the whole fuel curve if not properly synched with the TPS.

Hopefully this cures it and I wont be forced to buy a Cat for next season:face-icon-small-sho

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did they say they made a change to the TPS or did they just check it? Typically the factory only marks one side with a paint pin so with yours being painted on both sides makes me think they at least looked at it. They could have made an adjustment on the idle screw on the throttle bodies as well. So they should back the idle screw all the way out and then set the TPS base setting. Then they should adjust the idle screw back down to idle position so the idle screw should definitely been moved if you paid them to adjust TPS. Not sure where you are located but I do have a dealer I work with and could look at it for you if you would like if you don't trust your dealer. If you bought a sled from them with warranty they should have looked at if for free if it has done it since you bought it from them but warranty does not cover preventative maintenance. I would push for them to do a static compression test for you as it sounds like you are low on compression. You will have those exact symptoms if your compression is low. If this is the case then yes it's a warranty issue.

Directly from Polaris to my dealer: Low compression due to wear is not covered under warranty. Customer must pay for internal inspection and only broken parts causing low compression will warrant a warranty claim. That was for a 2013 Pro 600.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
S

Summitstef

Nov 26, 2007
In a forest, somewhere in Alberta
I just went thru this exact entire scenario, word for word with a 2012 standard RMK except the dealer kept throwing unnecessary parts and labor to trouble shoot it when the whole time ignoring my suggestion to simply replace the TPS. After $800 in parts and 14 hours of labor, guess what...faulty TPS! Pretty maddening when you know more about troubleshooting than the dealer does that is supposedly the subject matter experts....

C
Dec 24, 2014
Just get a test cable from Tonka1020 as I did and do it yourself. It's really not that difficult. Here's a link to the 2014+ TPS Test cable I got from him. Works great. Just make sure you have a GOOD quality DMM.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3801268&postcount=68

....and then after the motor blows up Polaris has an out because you have been making "adjustments" to critical FI components. No Thanks.

I drop it off, tell them it is not right, verify the problem in person with the tech before I leave. I do not even discuss what it might be, not my problem.

Yesterday from cold it idles up around 2200 for a couple minutes then settles in at ~1800 where it should be. It still does not like the hot restarts where it still seems to load up and drop rpm down around 12-1400. Now though, once riding the idle stays where it should. Hot re-start is very similar to how my '13 ran. Huge improvement over where it was.

Premium Features