• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Move RMK steering post

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Hi.
I realize I'm going to take some hits on this matter but what the h__l. :help:

I got the -15 RMK 800 I ride now after riding BRP sleds for the 4 last years. Overall I'm pleased about handling and power, can honestly say that if there is a power difference between the RMK and the E-tec 800s I had before the RMK isn't the one lacking.....

However there is one thing that I cannot seem to get accustomed to and that is the angle of the steering post. I really miss the more tilted post from the Freeride. I don't want the bars further forward I just want the bottom part of the post moved forwards to tilt it more, (of course the upper mount needs to come forward some too if the bars are to stay at the stock position).

I got to a point this winter when I stopped thinking about the steering feel but unfortunately I got on my buddys brand new Lynx, (pretty close to a Freeride), and immediately felt how nice it was to have the bars move like they did on the Doos I had.

Anyone converted their RMKs steering to imitate the BRP sleds?
.....I fear that I will have to give it a go before next winter....

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Have you experimented with tilting the bars back a bit? It wouldn't be exactly the same as putting more angle in the post, but it might make the difference you're looking for.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
It should be a fairly easy conversion, just get the Rush style rear over structure and the shorter Rush length steering link. May not be exactly what you are hoping for but it is a painless conversion. There is likely some one with a rush that would trade you the parts for a cheaper / zero expense trial.

I can not supply the Rush over structure but have the Rush post and steering link if you want them dropped in the mail.

There is at least on guy back east that has converted the other way (Rush to the PRO RMK vertical post) so parts are interchangeable and available to go the other way.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
This may be a dumb suggestion, but if your sled is the Pro version, have you tried the standard bars. I'm a Doo guy and hate the way the Protaper bars feel, but am perfectly comfortable w/ the standard bar setup. Not sure if it's the width, height, or bend. Just know that is the first thing to go if I ever get a Polaris. The smaller the rider, I think the worse the protapers are.

R

robadoodle

Nov 16, 2012
Kurt's Polaris has a handlebar upgrade plate that might do what you're looking for. It moves the bottom of the bars up slightly and forward about 1.5" or so. And it's cheap

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Its not the bars themselves that bothers me, I just want the bar ends to go more up/down and less forward/back when I turn them. That is not fixable by any other means than to change the angle of the post. I don't want to make a Nytro out of it, that tank is to far the other way, but to get it close to the angle the Freeride post has would be perfect.

I appreciate the offer regarding parts but I live in Sweden so it is probably easier getting parts here. But I will check out the Rush parts and see if they are better to build from than the stock ones.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Kurt's Polaris has a handlebar upgrade plate that might do what you're looking for. It moves the bottom of the bars up slightly and forward about 1.5" or so. And it's cheap

If anybody wants mine they can have it for the cost of shipping...

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Compared some photos of RMK and Rush chassis and the Rush post seems to be tilted more so that might be a way to go.
The best solution would be to fit a post from the Axys Rush but I guess that will be more work.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
This may be a dumb suggestion, but if your sled is the Pro version, have you tried the standard bars. I'm a Doo guy and hate the way the Protaper bars feel, but am perfectly comfortable w/ the standard bar setup. Not sure if it's the width, height, or bend. Just know that is the first thing to go if I ever get a Polaris. The smaller the rider, I think the worse the protapers are.

It's the pullback bend - much more with the std, and the riser allows you to set the riser angle at any pullback height you want. Just more natural, but less MX feel.

S

SWITCHMAN

Apr 25, 2012
Hudson, WI
I would imagine you could find someone with a Switchback Assault that would swap parts with you. They have the same steering angle and over structure as the short track sleds.

Premium Features