• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help me make a decision, please.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I've always liked the idea of getting a 600 but I don't have any seat time on one at elevation and I am not sure that I could pull the trigger on one if it came down to it, I just liked the thought for some reason. So I was set on getting a holdover '16 and putting a SLP pipe on it and some other refinement goodies but I was told by my brother that his company would be a turbo dealer next year. He didn't say what brand but he said it was one of the main ones. I'm not much of a tuner/fixer as I am a rider/wrecker so I was wondering if a turbo 600 would be as fun and user friendly as a piped 800 or vice versa? I'm 200+ RTR. Also, I read that the 600 turbo has a sluggish bottom end, is that true? There are a few 12-15 600 turbos I've seen over the years but I can't get much info on how they ride and I haven't read about any Axys 600 turbos anywhere and I haven't had any real extended seat time on a turbo either. I would only run pump gas as well. A positive on going with the 8 SLP setup would be to keep warranty but the rebuild on the 6 would be a fair amount cheaper than the monoblock I would suspect. Anyway, sorry to be long winded. All thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance.

DG

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I can't speak to a turbo 600 but I bought my fiance a stock pro 600 last year thinking it would be good for her to get her used to mountain riding. Everyone says "less rotational mass, it feels lighter than an 800" blah blah blah. I'm here to tell you that the 800 feels twice as light as a 600 as far as getting on edge anyway. The 600 lacks all sorts of bottom end so the zip off the bottom to set the track and get it on edge is just simply not there.

Again a turbo or a big bore 600 might be different but I'm now looking at upgrading her to an 800 after less than a year of riding it and would never buy another 600 for anybody that plans to see the mountains. If you are a trail rider and plan to hit the occasional hill, yeah maybe. They don't use near as much gas and oil and tend to be more reliable in the long term. But in my opinion, a stock 600 has no business in the mountains.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
If you must...

You can try to talk me into a turbo 8 as well. Who knows, I might just be able to talk the boss into it.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
8 is where its at, dont waste your money and time on a 6 unless you are racing.

Plenty of why I should boost threads already. Why? Because its boost!

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
In all my years of riding Ive never heard someone thats riding a 800 wish they were riding a 600.

C
Nov 29, 2008
What type of riding and at what elevation? I have both 600 (13) and 800 (15) but ride in trees at low elevation short but steep so 600 versus 800 not a huge difference.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
600 vs 800

Go 800. You will regret the 600. It's no where even close
to the 800 in any aspect. Harder to get on edge. No power.

I made the mistake of talking my girlfriend out of an 800,
and into a 600. She is a world champion athlete, and I
underestimated her abilities. I was of the opinion that
it would be plenty of power, and easier to ride. I felt
like an *** after watching her struggle with the lack of
power. Why put a big bore kit on, and not just buy an 800.

There are numerous 14-15 pros out there that are boosted
for sale cheap. I've got 35k in mine, and couldn't get 13k
for it. It's a freaking beast.

Good luck.
J

Premium Features