• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sea Level Turbo

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I snow checked a '17 SKS and will be riding it in the midwest and west. So 500-1000 ft and 8,000 - 10,000 feet. I really want to turbo the sled. Anyone have any experience running a turbo sled at sea level and at altitude? Can i pull it off with just clutching changes?

if ya'll have any recommendations let me know.

w2bridin

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
nd
I run a 14' proclimb with turbo. I ride at home under 1,000 ft and ride out west up to 11,000 ft. I don't change anything! That's what's great about a turbo I just adjust my boost up a couple pounds out west and my clutching it dead on again. My last turbo I put over 4,000 miles with no problems. I am sure Polaris would be the same way with the right kit/setup.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I'll give silber a call, I know a guy with a silber turbo. It worked great for him. He only rides it out west.

4000 miles on your cat turbo! How much of that was trail riding?

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
TTT

Let me know what they say. I am looking hard at a turbo in the future but would like to ride it around home (WI) every once in a while. Take the kids for rides and maybe a few hundred miles on the trails.

PS: Mods, should this thread be moved?.... No biggie to me, I'm on SW all day every day.

G

ggcustoms

Dec 4, 2007
NW Wisconsin
I run from 200' to about 7000' feet with no issues. All I do is increase boost for higher elevation.

What is the process of increasing boost? Different spring?
Sorry if that's a stupid question, new to the spool game.
What are your boost numbers at 200 and at 7k? Pump gas?

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
What is the process of increasing boost? Different spring?
Sorry if that's a stupid question, new to the spool game.
What are your boost numbers at 200 and at 7k? Pump gas?

With a External Wastegate, yes just simply change the spring. Also with either a External or internal wasegate you can add a manual boost controller to adjust, it is just not as consistent as a spring change IMO.

I have ran up to 12psi at sea level on 100 Av gas and stock head.

I am currently running both 5 and 7 pounds and 100 av.

For pump gas I would just run my 3 pound spring but I enjoy the higher boost way to much for that.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
You can definitely run a turbo in both places. They key is going to be fuel and ensuring you have enough octane for the boost you're running at any given altitude. Theoretically you should drop boost at lower elevation to keep clutching good but whatever. For a couple hundred miles at home per year I wouldn't mess with clutching. I ride 6-9k and approx 1k elevation at home.

Edit: forgot to mention brother has a silber external and I have a mtntk internal, on 13s. Not axys platform but for all practical purposes essentially the same systems from pro to axys. Of course there are differences but you get the idea....

Last edited:

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
Just got off the phone with Silber. He said in midwest run it at 3 lbs of boost and change clutch weights only if it's over revving. which makes sense. no need to change springs in clutches. the boost as stated above is changed with a simple change of the waste gate spring. at home in the midwest running 3lbs of boost you can use pump gas. it gives you about 185 hp.

you can switch it to 7 lbs out west and run pump gas, just need to change the clutch weights to prevent over revving. this puts out 200+ hp.

anything higher than 7 lbs of boost out west you need higher octane fuel, anything higher than 3 lbs in the midwest and you need higher octane fuel.

their electronics changes everything based on elevation and conditions. no changing anything except for clutch weights and waste gate springs.

Silber prices: $4,000 during the season. $3,600 spring price. $3,300 spring price if you buy 2 or more turbo set ups, so get a buddy to buy with you too.

Premium Features